Mounting wood on lathe tailstock

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dabrst
Bronze Member

Mounting wood on lathe tailstock

Post by dabrst »

I have been turning some cherry legs for a shaker table and had the third leg break at the tailstock. I think this is my first turning using hardwood. The piece started vibrating when I turned up the speed to start smoothing it after shaping was complete. My first reaction was to slow down the speed to eliminate the vibration. It turns out that the speed control handle had begun to slip and would not allow me to change speeds and the stock broke before I could just turn the shopsmith off. I've since corrected the speed control but want to verify the proper tailstock center mounting before I try to make a new leg. I'm using the live center, but also have the standard dead center. Should the ring around the center point be embedded into the work piece to provide better security? I can see from my broken piece that the center hole in the work had become egged out and the ring was not into the wood.
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Mounting wood on lathe tailstock

Post by beeg »

Yes, you needed it tighter between the centers.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

dabrst,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum. In your post you ended with the following two sentences
Should the ring around the center point be embedded into the work piece to provide better security? I can see from my broken piece that the center hole in the work had become egged out and the ring was not into the wood.
Your second sentence pretty much answers your question. Having the ring embedded with the point into the wood adds extra holding power for the tailstock centers. My guess is that as you were shaping the leg the pressure from the chisel against the wood was creating the egg shaped hole the tailstock center was in.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gee I wonder what that ring is for? Of course pin only will fail. Especially in end grain! A shallow ring groove is usually sufficient.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

In hardwood, you may need to drill a small pilot hole for the conical point, in order to engage the ring without undue force.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you do not do what BuckeyDennis said you will probably split most hardwoods. I drill the hole slightly smaller than the maximum diameter of the conical point and then make sure that the ring is embedded into the stock. The ring does not have to be embedded very far just enough to hold the piece securely.
Bill V