slow year

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

slow year

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Not sure how things are going for others but It seems this winter has been slow for restorations , we have had a couple small projects, finished up a couple projects we started last fall but for the most part this winter has been a challenge to keep busy , I even did some leather work just to fight off the boredoms . hope the economy picks up pretty soon.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: slow year

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

What kind of restorations?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I managed to find a lot of woodworking projects to do this Winter. Most of them were small projects, but I did get one large one in too. The Winter here is still in full motion so I will likely make a few more things before Spring decides to arrive.
I don't see any improvement in the economy in the near future. I expect it to be in much worse shape this year than it was last year. You can't do everything wrong in running a country and expect things to get better. It will likely get a lot worse yet before we see any improvement.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You mean 'printing more money", giving it away, telling folks they do not have to pay rent, extending jobless payments,. ..did not help the economy???

Yah covid is to blame for inflation
(sic).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

Seems like some people would love us to go back to where we just came from.
You would think after 1/6/21 people would think twice about starting threads leaning towards politics on a woodworking forum, unless they were calling a dog whistle for other like minded people or trying to provoke others.
After all this country has been through and what we still have to face as a nation--together-- I was hoping some would see how dangerous the tribalism has become and seek a different path for the future of this nation.

If anyone missed the interview with former attorney general William Barr, I suggest you have a listen.
Barr is not the only former official who has shed light on where we just came from. People need to stop marinating themselves in the echo-chambers of misinformation.

If this country cannot shake itself of all the political bias and get back to some basic principles we are doomed. I pray we can overcome.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

BuckeyeDennis wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:08 am What kind of restorations?
------------------
Mostly furniture , we repaired some of antique Christmas décor and a couple old gunstocks and a picture frame or two this winter but most everything else has slowed way down . normally when inflation is high folks fix the old stuff instead of buying new .
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

judaspre1982 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:05 pm Seems like some people would love us to go back to where we just came from.
You would think after 1/6/21 people would think twice about starting threads leaning towards politics on a woodworking forum, unless they were calling a dog whistle for other like minded people or trying to provoke others.
After all this country has been through and what we still have to face as a nation--together-- I was hoping some would see how dangerous the tribalism has become and seek a different path for the future of this nation.

If anyone missed the interview with former attorney general William Barr, I suggest you have a listen.
Barr is not the only former official who has shed light on where we just came from. People need to stop marinating themselves in the echo-chambers of misinformation.

If this country cannot shake itself of all the political bias and get back to some basic principles we are doomed. I pray we can overcome.
-----------------------

Politics and reality ?
The economy has everything to do with hobbies , politics is just the reality of it all . JMO
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

This 'forum' is labeled "community".

i.e. any subject is aok.

Sticking to reasonable common sense is suggested.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Common sense isn't common anymore, but at least sawdust is still common for us. I'll be needing a lot of sawdust to add to my garden when Spring arrives, so I'm making and saving up as much of it as I can during the Winter.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:59 am This 'forum' is labeled "community".

i.e. any subject is aok.

Sticking to reasonable common sense is suggested.
+1. Being concerned about the economy falls into that 'common sense' category, it impacts all of us. I know they are looking at different goods and services than I am, but inflation feels at least twice as high to me as the numbers we are seeing. Many of us are retired, my income doesn't keep up and my investments are losing value. It feels almost like a real problem.

- David