motor amps ?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: motor amps ?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JPG wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:59 am
Hobbyman2 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:25 pm are you sure it is wired right for 110 ? If I recall there are wiring instruction inside some motors that will allow voltage conversions / speed changes , can you find a manual ? if so remove the electrical cover and check for alterations ?
a 3/4 hp motor should be more than enough to cut a pine 2x4 ? .
I would have to look but my 15 amp circular saw cant be too much more than that ?

----------------------------
So for a 2 HP motor it will be 1500 watts or 1.5 KW. An easy way to convert HP (horse power) to Watts is by multiplying by using 745.7W/HP as a conversion factor; so a 2HP motor produces 1,491.4W of power (1.4914kW).

How many watts does a 2 HP motors have? - Quorahttps://www.quora.com › How-many-watts-does-a-2-HP-...
--------------------------------------------------------------

UNDERSTANDING WATTAGE & AMPERAGE
https://midwestconstructionrentals.com/ ... d-amperage
Read that link with a salt shaker.
-------------------

I didnt look them over that well , What did you see ??
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A lot of shallow description that crosses the misinformation boundry.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Just for asking ,, what makes you believe the brushes are bad ? is it grinding / knocking ? or throwing sparks or smelling hot ? DLB is probably correct so I am just asking . it never hurts to replace a set of brushes and springs . also there might be a number on the brush that may help you in finding a replacement , if it isn't worn down too bad .

----------
https://findanyanswer.com/how-do-you-kn ... s-are-worn

When they first start to go out, switches and carbon brushes can present either (or both) of the following two symptoms :
Off-and-On Use.
Decreased Tool Power.
Tends to Run Fine After Starting.
Off-and-On Use Worsens Steadily.
Off-and-On Use During Operation.
Shaking or Slapping the Tool Helps.
Banging Sound.

What do the numbers on carbon brushes mean?
The grade of the brush is usually found stamped on the face of the carbon. The grade indicates the material composition of the brush. The different grades in use today are derived through a variation of raw materials, molding pressures, temperature and duration of the baking process and after- treatments.

Herein, what happens if carbon brushes are worn?

Once the carbon brushes are completely worn the motor will begin to underperform before failing – running a motor with worn carbon brushes can result in extensive damage to the motor.

Also, how long should carbon brushes last? between two and ten years

Beside above, how do you test a carbon brush?

Step 1: To sight-check the carbon brushes, remove the screws that hold the brushes and brush springs into the brush holders at the sides of the commutator. The screws will pop out of the screw holes; turn the motor over to tap out the brushes.

Why do carbon brushes wear out?

Here are three of the most common reasons for rapid carbon brush wear: Poor Commutator or Ring Condition: A rough, out of round, or otherwise poor contact surface can cause accelerated brush wear. A poor commutator condition can lead to both electrical and mechanical wear of the carbon brush.
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

hobbyman2 said "Just for asking , what makes you believe the brushes are bad ? is it grinding / knocking ? or throwing sparks or smelling hot ? DLB is probably correct so I am just asking . it never hurts to replace a set of brushes and springs . also there might be a number on the brush that may help you in finding a replacement , if it isn't worn down too bad ."

I don't necessarily think the brushes are bad. The motor runs fine; no obvious problems. It's just that as I said here before, last year I tried to rip a 2x4 and it bogged down bad. It sounds like you guys think (and me too) that it should be able to rip a 2x4 without much trouble.
I guess I'll have to do that test again to confirm my comment.
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

Well I just re-ran my 2x4 ripping test with a 2 ft long 2x4 and had no problems ripping with 2 different combo blades. Motor drew about 6 amps.
The only difference was that last year it was a full 8 ft 2x4; maybe it was binding and maybe I used a different blade.
So, I guess problem solved. :o
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Delta 12" planer
lahola1
Gold Member

Post by lahola1 »

lahola1 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 pm Here is a link to a post of someone restoring this RAS. There is a pic of the motor case opened up showing the motor and geartrain if anyone is interested.
I'm interested, but this link doesn't work.

- David
[/quote]

Sorry, I think this link works better.

https://www.lumberjocks.com/KTNC/blog/122441
Delta 12" planer
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I had a issue once with a tail light, the tester showed 12 volts at the connector , but the lights wouldnt work ,ended up finding a bad spot in the wire where a repair was made previously , there was a lot of corrosion , voltage was there but not enough amps for the lights to work even with LED . my only other thought on your saw was a bad cord ,some thing are hard to diagnose with out testing . Glad it is working .