My Growth Rings videos

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Re: My Growth Rings videos

Post by thedovetailjoint »

Scott here. First off, I think I like this new approach, Chad. Secondly, I'm a little surprised to hear that I'm not very active here. Apparently I interact a lot less than I think I do!
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

thedovetailjoint wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:08 am Scott here. First off, I think I like this new approach, Chad. Secondly, I'm a little surprised to hear that I'm not very active here. Apparently I interact a lot less than I think I do!
Don't feel bad, Scott. Apparently I was too active for some on the forum this week. Which should more than make up for your absence.

I didn't know a forum with over 11,000 members, with an average of 50 users (members and guests combine) online at any given time, would have a problem with having more activity than just 5 posts per hour on the average that this forum sees on a daily basis. Especially when those posts were all primarily Shopsmith related, and also woodworking/workshop/tool related.

I guess we find things out the hard way sometimes.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Chad, I certainly appreciate all that you’ve been doing to make sure Scott’s videos are posted. When I visit the forum I always look to see if new videos have been posted for Scott, Nick, Stumpy Nubs, and Ron’s collection. Being new to both ShopSmith and finer woodworking Nick and Scott’s videos have been my primary training (lab) class, and this forum and all the ShopSmith documentation have been the lecture class. I have referred others to both Nick and Scott’s videos. And Scott’s videos on restoring the jointer helped me to feel confident in restoring my own Jointer, which I’m very proud of. Then both his and Nicks videos on adjusting the knives in the jointer assured that my jointer does it’s job so well now.

Over the past year (well really only 10 months), I have seen lots of comments in appreciation for your work making these videos available, so keep up the good work. Don’t let your feathers get too ruffled by criticism, it’s all been friendly and I’ve felt that everyone has appreciated your efforts. Only a couple have have had ideas about how it should have been done differently, but I think we all realize how much work you’ve done to make this happen. I think we all tend to focus on the few critics, however minor they may be, and sometimes discount all the kudos.

I assure you that I have only been able to advance as much as I have with ShopSmith and my woodworking because of the quality of this forum and the quality of the videos I’ve mostly found on this forum. Both are a huge and invaluable resource that is rare in the public domain these days.

So thank you!
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

No GOOD deed goes unpunished!

Ahhh human nature.

Do not sweat the naysayers.

A bit of warning would have been a possible silencer.

I appreciate the effort expended and the objective.

Now WHY is the sawsmith headed to NC???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

JPG wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:35 am Now WHY is the sawsmith headed to NC???
Well, the particular Sawsmith 2000 in question; may or may not be the subject of a future video... Time will tell.
Chad Nevels
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Majones1 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:25 am Chad, I certainly appreciate all that you’ve been doing to make sure Scott’s videos are posted. When I visit the forum I always look to see if new videos have been posted for Scott, Nick, Stumpy Nubs, and Ron’s collection. Being new to both ShopSmith and finer woodworking Nick and Scott’s videos have been my primary training (lab) class, and this forum and all the ShopSmith documentation have been the lecture class. I have referred others to both Nick and Scott’s videos. And Scott’s videos on restoring the jointer helped me to feel confident in restoring my own Jointer, which I’m very proud of. Then both his and Nicks videos on adjusting the knives in the jointer assured that my jointer does it’s job so well now.

Over the past year (well really only 10 months), I have seen lots of comments in appreciation for your work making these videos available, so keep up the good work. Don’t let your feathers get too ruffled by criticism, it’s all been friendly and I’ve felt that everyone has appreciated your efforts. Only a couple have have had ideas about how it should have been done differently, but I think we all realize how much work you’ve done to make this happen. I think we all tend to focus on the few critics, however minor they may be, and sometimes discount all the kudos.

I assure you that I have only been able to advance as much as I have with ShopSmith and my woodworking because of the quality of this forum and the quality of the videos I’ve mostly found on this forum. Both are a huge and invaluable resource that is rare in the public domain these days.

So thank you!
Marc, YOU understand the purpose of guys like me posting the information we post. We don't do it for numbers, recognition, or money. It's meant to help anyone who wants help, or for those who don't know everything, and sometimes just for pure entertainment. If a video I've posted on this forum does something good for just one fellow woodworker, then it was worth it, every time.

I am thrilled to hear and know you got your jointer cleaned up, and in proper and safe working order! By the way, the gauge Scott used to set the jointer knives. I think it's called the Snap-Check Plus? I bought one (around $25 bucks), and it works great for that purpose. It's so much easier than the ruler method. I'm a machinist, and yeah I could bring home from work a mag base and a dial indicator to set jointer knives ( I have 2 jointers by the way), but boy is that gauge Scott used handy, and accurate to within 0.001 to 0.002 of an inch. That's close enough in my workshop. Did you seen the video on sealing the cast iron with Scott's finishing technique? If not, I'll post it below. Man, I'm here to tell you it works! I tried it on my Shopsmith bandsaw with the cast iron table. It's been over 6 months now, and no more rust. It looks like a brand new table, that was made in 1980. A coat of paste wax once in a while keeps the surface slick. The only trouble for me is I still need to do it to two Shopsmith jointers, two Shopsmith 6" belt sander tables, a Delta contractor's table saw table, and now a Shopsmith Pro Planer bed!

No more rust with this technique: viewtopic.php?t=28491

Keep in touch! -Chad
Last edited by Chad on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Nevels
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Chad wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:04 am
I am thrilled to hear and know you got your jointer cleaned up, and in proper and safe working order! By the way, the gauge Scott used to set the jointer knives. I think it's called the Snap-Check Plus? I bought one, and it works great for that purpose. It's so much easier than the ruler method.
Thanks Chad. I remembered a couple more things about how useful Scott’s videos are, I’ve frequently seen the very experienced members here point to, or link to, Scott’s and Nick’s videos (and also Jacob’s) to help answer a new member’s questions. I’ve even done that myself. We’ve also had discussions about a subject wherebScott’s, or others’, videos have come up and we’ve debated some of the instructions or conclusions. These discussions don’t always take place under the actual video post, they happen in the middle of real discussions of problems. So they are excellent reference material too.

I’m a little proud of my Jointer, here’s a link to my process. It includes lots of pictures. It also has a discussion and photos of Tony’s jointerbwork, which my work helped inspire. It makesbScott’s videos even more valuable!

I found Penetrol to be especially helpful in the mounting tube holes where I could not reach to completely remove the rust.

viewtopic.php?t=26510&hilit=Jointer+Marc+Jones
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)