Is it just me ?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Is it just me ?

Post by JPG »

algale wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:18 pm
JPG wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:57 pm I suggest those 100 posts be put in a new thread for new comers to peruse.
I agree. That's what should be done with them.
In hindsight, it seems that is what has been created. Trouble is all at once!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

algale wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:18 pm
JPG wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:57 pm I suggest those 100 posts be put in a new thread for new comers to peruse.
I agree. That's what should be done with them.
The problem with one thread for all the videos made it difficult to comment on a single video. Example; you want to comment on a video that's on page 3 of the thread, but your comment will be posted on the last page of the thread, which could be page 43. That isn't organized, or easy to follow for me, and maybe for many others as well. I wouldn't want to be active in a thread like that. That was a problem with the original My Growth Rings thread.

The other problem with the original My Growth Rings thread was it being pushed down the list as new threads we created, or new posts were made on old threads, which is the case with any older thread that does see activity often.

Another problem with the original thread was all you saw was the main thread title "My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood", not the latest video title which might be of interest to you.

One thread for all the My Growth Rings videos to be ignored wasn't a working format anymore, and is no longer worth my time to post content in.

A single thread for a My Growth Rings video, and any other My Growth Rings videos that pertain to the thread title, i.e. a "Stumped Q & A" video, is a much better format.
-Chad
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

An alternative (more work) would be to continue the original thread but insert a linking index at the top post.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

JPG wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:39 am An alternative (more work) would be to continue the original thread but insert a linking index at the top post.
Yep, more work. I work enough already. If you want to do that, feel free. For me, that thread can keep getting pushed down the list, and end up in the "forum abyss" where threads go to die.

Oh, by the way, how's that chuck arbor I modified for you last year working out?
Chad Nevels
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Still figgering how to mount an indexing detent pin on the quill body. Trouble is I want it fine tunable(and calibrated). If you recall it was modified so as to accurately mount an index wheel. Thank You for that effort again.

So re abyss, do I understand all those originally put there are now 'stand alone'? If so It now all makes sense.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Chad wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:59 am
The other problem with the original My Growth Rings thread was it being pushed down the list as new threads we created, or new posts were made on old threads, which is the case with any older thread that does see activity often.
Chad,

That's what should happen on a forum: new threads (or new replies to old posts) bump inactive or less active posts down the forum until they eventually fall off the front page. Posts will stay at or near the top of the page only so long as the members make it so by interacting with (replying to) the original post.

Which is why I don't see what you think you have accomplished by creating new individual posts for each of Scott's old videos that you had already posted in your My Growth Rings thread. At most, what you did was a temporary "solution" to the "problem" of your posts about Scott's videos continuing to draw limited engagement on this forum. In short order, all those individual new posts you created are all going to suffer the fate of getting pushed down the forum as newer posts are added by other members. Some may resurface from time to time as someone resurrects them with a new reply; but unless your plan is to continually try to artificially bring them back to the top page by replying or "bumping" them yourself (which I for one would find quite objectionable and annoying) they are all going to fall off the page unless one of them sets off a perpetual series of replies. If that happens I will be quite surprised.

In reality, there was no "problem" here that needed a "solution." Like every other post by every other forum member, your My Growth Rings thread would pop up to the top of the forum when you added to it or when someone else replied to it. While you may think your posts about Scott's videos deserved greater prominence and a greater level of discussion and interaction, ultimately that is not how this or any forum works. The member who makes the post doesn't get to decide its value or interest to the other forum members. Instead the other forum members decide that based on how many replies a post generates.

Best,

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

I just don't care anymore. You guys need to let it go, and move on with life.
Chad Nevels
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

algale wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:32 pm
Chad wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:59 am
Chad,

That's what should happen on a forum: new threads (or new replies to old posts) bump inactive or less active posts down the forum until they eventually fall off the front page. Posts will stay at or near the top of the page only so long as the members make it so by interacting with (replying to) the original post.

Which is why I don't see what you think you have accomplished by creating new individual posts for each of Scott's old videos that you had already posted in your My Growth Rings thread. At most, what you did was a temporary "solution" to the "problem" of your posts about Scott's videos continuing to draw limited engagement on this forum. In short order, all those individual new posts you created are all going to suffer the fate of getting pushed down the forum as newer posts are added by other members. Some may resurface from time to time as someone resurrects them with a new reply; but unless your plan is to continually try to artificially bring them back to the top page by replying or "bumping" them yourself (which I for one would find quite objectionable and annoying) they are all going to fall off the page unless one of them sets off a perpetual series of replies. If that happens I will be quite surprised.

In reality, there was no "problem" here that needed a "solution." Like every other post by every other forum member, your My Growth Rings thread would pop up to the top of the forum when you added to it or when someone else replied to it. While you may think your posts about Scott's videos deserved greater prominence and a greater level of discussion and interaction, ultimately that is not how this or any forum works. The member who makes the post doesn't get to decide its value or interest to the other forum members. Instead the other forum members decide that based on how many replies a post generates.

Best,

Al
Nothing new here; I've heard it multiple times this week from others. I'm now drained, and I no longer care. -Chad
Chad Nevels
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

CHAD:
Do not get discouraged. Let them who have themselves devoted that much time trying to be helpful throw the first stone. Unfortunately those not meeting that criteria are all too eager to discard rocks.

Hang Tough!!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Scott wants your input
Well, i think everyone's input is pretty clear. Nobody liked it. Maybe Scott should wade in and provide his opinion.

I actually liked that I could go to one thread and find all of Scotts video's there-the way it was before and that the most recent "new" posts
were on top of the first page - whoever they were from.

Chad - I'm sure there were good intentions here, but your cavalier attitude and brusque responses
only added fuel to the fire. Honestly, those kinds of responses only enervate me to poke the bear even more. I wont be told when I'm done extracting my pound of flesh. Sorry.

You can "not care" all you want, but perhaps there is a lesson in here for you to internalize to avoid similar lashback in the future.

You could (or Scott could) easily have asked the forums opinion before doing it and avoided the negative response, the stress and possibly even all the work you did splitting out all that content in the first place.

Something to think about.

b