A channel to watch to learn for beginners?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

LynnJoseph
Bronze Member

A channel to watch to learn for beginners?

Post by LynnJoseph »

Hello everyone. Is there any channel that you subscribe to and watch a lot of woodworking videos? Can you recommend at least one Youtube channel for beginners to watch and learn? Thanks a lot!
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: A channel to watch to learn for beginners?

Post by JPG »

Got a recommendation Chad???
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

JPG wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:41 pm Got a recommendation Chad???
Nope, not a one. Do you know of any?
Last edited by Chad on Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Hi LynnJoseph. It depends on what you're looking for exactly.

For general woodworking tips, Stumpy Nubs is good.

Nick Engler's Workshop Companion is a excellent channel. Nick and I are personal friends (we live about 5 miles apart), and his is a bottomless well of knowledge when it comes to woodworking. He taught woodworking at the University of Cincinnati, and still has a true passion for teaching the craft. You can't go wrong with Nick.

For Shopsmith related equipment woodworking, Jim Sevilla has a small channel, but he builds projects.
Sassafras Valley is good.
Woodshop Nerdery, Tom is a really good up and comer.
My Growth Rings, is mainly about Shopsmith tools, but not much general woodworking. Scott knows his tools though.

A great television show that is still on my local PBS station after 30+ years is The American Woodshop with Scott and Suzy Phillips. I'm not sure if the show is national, but I do know that WBGU out of Bowling Green Ohio does have a youtube channel, and some of the episodes have been uploaded from past seasons. I've met Scott Phillips, and he is the same guy in person that you see on the show. A super nice guy, and very talented woodworker. Also, he is a certified arborist, and trust me, he knows wood.

Now if you want some power tools, but mostly hand tool woodworking, which is my main focus in my own woodworking now, and is the mark of being a true woodworking craftsman, not just a power tool woodworker. For that, you'll want my most favorite youtube channel of all...

Rob Cosman
https://www.youtube.com/c/RobCosmancom

IMHO, he is the best out there. -Chad
Last edited by Chad on Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chad Nevels
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Not a one, but a well thought out list!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Power tools are great. I have a whole 24'x36' workshop full of them, and use them all the time. But trust me when I say this. The noise will eventually grind on your nerves. Hand tool woodworking can be just as rewarding, and very relaxing if you develop the skills. Good luck in your quest, and happy woodworking! -Chad
Chad Nevels
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yep! One cannot blame the tool when one has total control of it.

However one can take pride in the successful execution of that control.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Can't really say what videos to watch but the traditional introduction to woodworking is by making something. Find some plans using a basic set of tools and make something. Make a box, a simple book shelf, or a spice rack, or just carve something. It would be my way of doing things to look for specific information about tools and techniques I want to learn or improve my skills in.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I dont know any one who can pick up a tool / electric or hand tool and be a master of it , best advice I have to offer is to use a piece of scrap and learn to use the tool or tools and especially during a set up of a machine , learn how wood grain effects each of those tools and learn to use fractions or the metric system . as far as good videos go its like learning to ride a bike , every one has videos that show you how to use a tool but you still need to learn how to use them .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
lew
Gold Member

Post by lew »

I've recently started watching Epic Woodworking's shopnight live. It's not as edited and concise as some other channels, but it's a wealth of knowledge and his love of teaching the craft shows. https://www.youtube.com/c/Epicwoodworking