My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Re: My Growth Rings with Scott Markwood

Post by edma194 »

I agree with Tom on this subject. I guess I never saw it written down anywhere to leave some space for the spring to compress but I had some prior familiarity with elastomeric couplings and assumed it was necessary. The vibration feedback through the coupler can be a problem when there's a stiff connection between the hubs. The material is strong enough to withstand it though, along with any withstanding flexing necessary to account for misalignment of the hubs.

Since there aren't widespread reports of couplers breaking and I'm sure plenty of people who jam those things in as tight as possible then in the end it doesn't seem to matter much. Those couplers are tough.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

I posted this on the Shopsmith woodworkers welcome group on facebook: "It's a interesting notion. It would defiantly keep the spring from being completely collapsed, and not loosing full rebound over time."
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Chad wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:14 pm I posted this on the Shopsmith woodworkers welcome group on facebook: "It's a interesting notion. It would defiantly keep the spring from being completely collapsed, and not loosing full rebound over time."
The inside end of the spring is recessed inside the shaft of the coupler at least 1/2". Even if the hub is bottomed in the coupler the spring is only compressed about half way.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Chad
Platinum Member

Post by Chad »

Thanks, John.

Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:57 pm I agree with Tom on this subject. I guess I never saw it written down anywhere to leave some space for the spring to compress but I had some prior familiarity with elastomeric couplings and assumed it was necessary. The vibration feedback through the coupler can be a problem when there's a stiff connection between the hubs. The material is strong enough to withstand it though, along with any withstanding flexing necessary to account for misalignment of the hubs.

Since there aren't widespread reports of couplers breaking and I'm sure plenty of people who jam those things in as tight as possible then in the end it doesn't seem to matter much. Those couplers are tough.
Tom is certainly entitled to his opinion and he clearly stated it was his opinion in the video.

However, I found it interesting he used his power station instead of his MK V to make his point. He clearly needs to adjust the lock on his power station. Mine is not overly tight to lock and the back and forth movement of my jig saw mounted is barely enough to feel let alone see. On my MK 7 (upgraded MK V 520) there is no movement at all.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

jsburger wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:48 pm
edma194 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:57 pm I agree with Tom on this subject. I guess I never saw it written down anywhere to leave some space for the spring to compress but I had some prior familiarity with elastomeric couplings and assumed it was necessary. The vibration feedback through the coupler can be a problem when there's a stiff connection between the hubs. The material is strong enough to withstand it though, along with any withstanding flexing necessary to account for misalignment of the hubs.

Tom is certainly entitled to his opinion and he clearly stated it was his opinion in the video. I am sucribed to Tom's channel and he is spot on with his videos.

However, I found it interesting he used his power station instead of his MK V to make his point. He clearly needs to adjust the lock on his power station. Mine is not overly tight to lock and the back and forth movement of my jig saw mounted is barely enough to feel let alone see. On my MK 7 (upgraded MK V 520) there is no movement at all.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Tom is certainly entitled to his opinion and he clearly stated it was his opinion in the video. I am subscribed to Tom's channel and he is spot on with his videos.

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Third time the charm?

BTW the spt mount on the power station is always sloppy.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Some time it takes more than once.

Well my power station is not anywhere near as sloppy as Tom's. Not even close.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Maybe he 'cheated' and did not secure the slide.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange