new guy - new / old machine

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ivaada
Silver Member

Re: new guy - new / old machine

Post by ivaada »

got it... turn phone sideways for proper orientation of picture.

and yes the post were upside down,, thank you.
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG (320.02 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

This version of post (eccentric) does not normally use the collar. Installation and adjustment should be in the manual you have. I would take the collar off and leave it off, but for sure you don't want it on the short end. The 'ledge' formed by the eccentric should rest on the top of the mounting holes. This seems to be the most common version of mounting posts, easiest to adjust for correct alignment of hubs and I believe it is still standard equipment. It is not the most stable version, but stability is improved when you connect the power coupler.

- David
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

For those interested, Jacob Anderson made his Bandsaw Repair video available on YouTube.
He does a good job going over the complete tear down and rebuild of a Shopsmith bandsaw. Years ago this DVD was only available for purchase. After he retired he generously made the videos available to the Shopsmith community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFBeGfdiIak

As has been mentioned, you can also find information about bandsaw maintenance from Scot on his My Growth Rings you tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YPHGeYYC8

You might also be interested in a seller on EBay (simone*e) who sells what he calls a “Blade Guide Upgrade Kit, for Shopsmith bandsaw, retrofit (aftermarket)”. I have installed this kit on one of my bandsaws and have no complaints. It seems to be close to the upgrade that Bill Mayo put together. You can find more information in the old post:

viewtopic.php?t=1648
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The flat head screw you mentioned, indicated by the arrow in your picture below, helps hold the Tension Indicator Scale in place on the Upper Wheel Arm and sets the scale position.

_
Bandsaw Blade Tensioner - arrow.jpg
Bandsaw Blade Tensioner - arrow.jpg (132.13 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
To adjust it follow the instructions " Aligning the Blade Tension Scale" from the Bandsaw Manual linked below starting on page 12. With the tension off the red Tension Spring edge should be even with the edge of the Tensions Indicator Scale. The picture above shows tension on the blade at 1/4.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/manuals/845539.pdf

Beginning on page 8 of the Manual linked above it shows how to install the mounting posts correctly and align the Bandsaw to the Mark V. Your Eccentric Mounting Posts should NOT have collars on them and the long end of the posts should go into the Bandsaw.

History,

The early Bandsaws had straight Mounting Posts and used collars to set the height when aligned on the Shopsmith Mark 5 or mounted on the Model 10E or 10ER using the Power Mount Adapter kit.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ivaada
Silver Member

Post by ivaada »

thanks much for the info on the mounting posts and tension indicator..
posts have been turned over, and tension indicator verified.
first question today,, is when should i open a new thread, instead of adding to an old one?
2nd question is regarding clips and washers on the upper bearing.
the attached photos show that mine has clips and washers on both sides.
however the parts diagram that i have does not show that configuration, or perhaps i am looking at it wrong?
either way,, please assist with where i can find the correct part numbers, and maybe even the correct parts diagram.
thank you
-marion
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG (421.48 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG (397.81 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG (227.25 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:17 pm ...
Beginning on page 8 of the Manual linked above it shows how to install the mounting posts correctly and align the Bandsaw to the Mark V. Your Eccentric Mounting Posts should NOT have collars on them and the long end of the posts should go into the Bandsaw.
It's possible that the PO turned the posts over and added the collars in an attempt to add stability. I doubt either would help much, if any. The eccentric mounts are simply less stable than the earlier versions. So some instability is 'normal,' but it's hard to quantify how much. Another possible contributor to instability is the SPT locking handle (Accessory Mount Lock). Look for some clearance between both ends of the handle portion and the Headrest casting. Absence of clearance on one side when locked would indicate it is only locking on one side and requires adjustment.

- David
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

ivaada wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:24 pm ... question is regarding clips and washers on the upper bearing.
the attached photos show that mine has clips and washers on both sides.
however the parts diagram that i have does not show that configuration, or perhaps i am looking at it wrong?
I'm not familiar with that version. But if this came off the upper guide I don't think you are looking at it wrong. If you only need to replace the broken "E-Clip" you can get them at most hardware stores or on line. IIRC they are sized according to the diameter of the shaft they ride on, not the groove. Measure carefully as the shaft portion of the screw/bolt could be metric or imperial. It appears to me to be shimmed, so keep close track of the parts if you replace just the clip.

I inspected both an older Bandsaw and a newer one and neither was like yours. Both upper guide bearings were flat where they contact the blade while cutting, no groove and no double bearings. Both had grooved or doubled autotrack bearings.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Regarding opening a NEW thread. Do so if the subject is changed thus creating a new 'subject' reference in the title.

In your case your thread is ALL about thy new stuff.

BTW the title may be changed at any new post, but the original thread title remains.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

There is a great thread on adjusting and aligning the bandsaw.

viewtopic.php?t=8542&hilit=bandsaw+adjustment
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I don't recall any E clips in use for that bearing. Maybe the original bearing had no groove and they were used to position the groove properly. Are there any grooves on the bolt for the E clips? If not they're likely to break and jam up if use where the bolt is threaded.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER