Garage Doors

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Garage Doors

Post by SteveMaryland »

Sorry about using PDF to attach pictures, but this forum won't take anything over 3MB and most of the pictures exceed that.

Garage door rebuild. My second go-round on fabbing new garage doors. Original (1950's vintage) rollup doors lasted for many years but eventually they fell apart so in 2016-17 I designed and fabbed new frame-and-panel doors using Southern Yellow Pine. A huge and brutal labor, outdoors in winter.

First big mistake. These doors were way too heavy, and I had to router out some of the wood to get the weight down. Afterward they were still too heavy, but they worked once installed.

Once installed, they looked great but then the wood started decaying rapidly even with several coats of Helmsman spar varnish. And I thought yellow pine lasted forever! They built old houses with this stuff, didn't they? I saw NO worm or insect evidence. I had the doors elevated off the wet ground with ground-conforming rubber "weather seals". So why did the wood rot so fast?

A huge effort on this first set of Shopsmith-made doors, and they were a semi-disaster.

Second rebuild started last year. Still frame-and-panel design but now using ordinary SPF 2 x 6. Planed everything (on my router sled) to 1-1/4" thick. Lighter and straighter material than previously, so a good start.

I knew I needed a much better protective finish than varnish, so for the first time I invested in epoxy/fiberglass. Long story, but I could only get most but not all the wrinkles out of the (6 oz cloth) fabric. When dry the fabric laid down nicely, but once wetted it seemed to swell. So I did about three panels with cloth, and the rest I skipped the cloth and just used epoxy. Now I worry that the epoxy-only panels will crack and fail. Will they?

Epoxy is very viscous, expensive and labor-intensive but can't beat that yacht-like finish. Bubbles were a real headache but I learned how to propane-torch most of them out.

Salvaged all the bearings and hinges from the original doors. The old door hardware essentially lasts forever.

Sealed the gaps between door panels by routing a 1/4" dado into which fits a strip of recycled-rubber mat, like the kind used for truck bedliner or excercise mat. Works well.

Garage is built on very un-level and lumpy ground so getting the doors to set plumb was a problem. New doors have a component which contacts the ground and is cut to the ground contour yet keeps the door plumb. This component hinges out of the way when door is rolled up. And if/when it gets rotten from wet ground contact, it can be replaced, and door panels are protected. Doors are plumb but garage isn't.

New doors are light, level, roll up nicely, and look like vintage yacht wood! Time will tell. One month into service and no cracks in the epoxy.

I hope I will never have to rebuild these doors again. But I am glad I have Shopsmith to enable me to do these sort of projects. How do other homeowners do without Shopsmith?? And what would I have paid to have someone else fab and install doors like these?
Attachments
GARAGE DOORS 2.pdf
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 202 times
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
algale
Platinum Member

Re: Garage Doors

Post by algale »

Wow, great project! I wanted to build some garage doors but eventually abandoned the idea and just bought some, so hat's off to you!

Epoxy is very, very susceptible to UV breakdown. You should give those doors at least two coats of a good marine grade varnish with UV protectors. I've used Hellmsman and it's ok. Epifanes is the best but $$$. Don't bother to thin the varnishes if you are applying over epoxy.

As you found out, fiberglass was unnecessary here. You'll get all the waterproofing protection you need from the epoxy. Fiberglass is great for reinforcing stuff but not needed in your application and just added weight. Plus, getting fiberglass to conform to the sharp corners of the raised panels wasn't going to be easy as you found out.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

That's a big project. Thanks for sharing the photos of the end result. The new doors look great.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
Majones1
Gold Member

Post by Majones1 »

Very nice! Looks like a lot of work. Your experience with your previous door build makes you wonder how they made the original doors that lasted so long.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Really nice looking doors!
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

This is a super project, and we will all benefit from what you learned!

Chris
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

"Epoxy is very, very susceptible to UV breakdown. You should give those doors at least two coats of a good marine grade varnish" Yes, that is the next worry, and I should get some anti-UV coating on before summer. It's weird that I should have to put varnish over epoxy. Now I worry about the epoxy-varnish adhesion. I don't want delamination, not after the mess I had before. One would think that UV protection would be already in the epoxy, considering the sun exposure boats get in the marine environment.

"makes you wonder how they made the original doors that lasted so long" That's right, those 1950's wood rollup doors were incredible. They used flathead flush carriage bolts, and they used a male/female "dropleaf" joint between the hinged panels. Also they were light. I don't know what kind of wood they were made of, just ordinary white untreated SPF as far as I could tell. Painted with the old lead-based paint (maybe that was why they lasted!). The "original original" 1927 doors were vertically-hinged swing doors.

I would say that, as far as size, these door panels (at 86" x 22" x 25 lbs) are about as large a workpiece that a Shopsmith can safely handle. I know Shopsmith has claimed that one person could cut up an 8x4 plywood panel with no problem, but I wouldn't advise trying it, not without a helper.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Most fiberglass/epoxy boats are painted. Wooden boats with clear epoxy coatings have UV breakdown problems. However, let's not go overboard, how much direct sunlight are these doors exposed to? Unfortunately, the best and longest lasting UV protection comes from dark dyes added to coatings, and paint will do better than transparent coatings.

The original doors may have been made from cedar or other more rot resistant wood, and SPF from 60 years ago was much higher quality wood than modern stuff.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice work ,, they do look heavy .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

SteveMaryland wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:50 am Yes, that is the next worry, and I should get some anti-UV coating on before summer. It's weird that I should have to put varnish over epoxy. Now I worry about the epoxy-varnish adhesion. I don't want delamination, not after the mess I had before. One would think that UV protection would be already in the epoxy, considering the sun exposure boats get in the marine environment.
The adhesion answer is to sand the epoxy dull. 150 grit should be fine. The varnish will bring everything back full gloss.

This was the worst part of building my cedar strip canoe that was covered in fiberglass epoxy. The epoxy looks so good you don't want to sand it dull but if you don't and don't cover it with varnish, it will degrade.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!