75th Anniversary of Shopsmith This Year - How Will We Celebrate?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Re: 75th Anniversary of Shopsmith This Year - How Will We Celebrate?

Post by Chad »

+1, Ed
Chad Nevels
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1963 Shopsmith Mark V "Goldie" 1-1/8 hp Serial # 379185
    1980 Shopsmith Mark V 500
    1994 Shopsmith Mark V 510
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1994 OKUMA LB15 II OSP7000
    2017 OKUMA LB3000 EXII SPACE TURN MY OSP P300LA
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I would enjoy getting to see the factory in a tour and spending time getting to talk to some of the Shopsmith staff in person along with meeting some of you in person. That could be enough to get me there.

I was talking to my wife about it last night and she knows how much I like Shopsmith stuff and would be okay if I went even if it was on the 75th anniversary of the first Model 10E's being shipped out on November 15th. You should know that November 16th is our anniversary so letting me be out of town then shows she understands how much an event like this would mean to me.

John and I were talking yesterday about when it could possibly be held and November 15th being so close to Thanksgiving may not be the best time. There is a second anniversary close to the 75th which is Shopsmith Inc. forming in 1972 and restarting the Mark 5 production beginning sales in March of 1973 making its 50th anniversary coming up too. Close enough to celebrate both and a ++ for Shopsmith.

As Ed was suggesting maybe Shopsmith could have some "special event" sales but do include a shipping option as extra "luggage" will cost those of us flying to get there and home. If someone wanted to buy Jointer knives or saw blades they probably won't get them by TSA in their carry-on. :D
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I think it would be great to have such an event. Maybe reach out to Mike Young and/or Doug Reid as well as Scott Markwood as presenters? I wouldn't mind attending since I'm within driving distance.
BPR
jpdalton
Gold Member

Post by jpdalton »

75th Anniversary Event Update

I had a very cordial and productive phone call earlier today with the Folkerth family (owners of Shopsmith, Inc.), and was very pleased to hear that they are in fact interested in participation from the company in this proposed anniversary event. Again, we're still a long way from having anything formalized, but I believe this provides the necessary initial steps to really get the ball rolling on planning.

I'll be starting a new thread to provide some details and get the community motivated to participate!
John Dalton
Massachusetts
1948 10E, S/N 5052 (restored)
1950 10ER, S/N 26473 (restored)
1952 10ER, S/N 51721 (restored as dedicated drill press)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263334 (functionally restored)
1954 Mark 5, S/N 263705 (restored/PowerPro)
c1959 Mark 2, S/N 81940 (undergoing restoration)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Good Show!!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Great news John! This is good to hear, with the company behind the celebration this could be something very special. Well, special to us Shopsmith guys, everybody else will still kind of wonder about it, but maybe it's a good chance to get people interested and grow the family!

Hope we can at least get a T-shirt ;)
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

Definitely worth a drive from Maryland would be great to see the factory and thank some of you in person for all the knowledge you share here.