Timeliness of Shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Majones1
Gold Member

Re: Timeliness of Shopsmith

Post by Majones1 »

We ordered two arts and craft style leather recliners last summer and although the normal time to ship had been 3 months they told us because of Covid it was taking 4 months. They were finally delivered a little over six months after we ordered them. The cause was a shortage in dense foam. Both Covid, the supply chain, and now the extreme difficulty in hiring seriously affects all industries, from no tech to high tech.

While that’s all true, I’m curious about what happened to the unit they sent to the wrong address? Seems to me that it should have been returned and reshipped to you.
Marc Jones

Model 10ER (1952), s/n: 72883 (MickyD restored in 2009/10) / Variable Speed Changer / A-34 Jigsaw / Jointer-Shaper Fence
Mark 5 Model 500 (1955), s/n: 309828 (MickyD restored in 2008/09) / Magna Jigsaw Model 610, s/n 65001 / Yuba 11” Bandsaw Model 630, s/n 39807 / Magna Jointer Model 620, s/n 17792 (restored in 2021) / Magna 6” Belt Sander Model 640, s/n 13742 (to be restored)
Professional Planer Model M5082, s/n 003918
DC3300 Dust Collector (circa 1998)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Only if the 'recipient' returned it!

Regardless SS should ship another.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Shopsmith should reverse the credit card charge until they are actually ready to ship. If the charge were still on your balance since December, you'd have been hit with up to $40 in interest by now with nothing to show for it.
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

Everyone,
I would like to close out this discussion with the good news that I took delivery this week on my long-awaited PowerPro headstock. I ordered it last June, some 9 months or so ago. I installed the new headstock and am pleased with its performance. Among other qualities, it is quiet. Anyway, my thanks to Renee Blake at Shopsmith who doggedly kept after this long-delayed order. She deserves special credit as an unsung heroine. I will now try to find a good home for my original headstock, which works just fine and will continue to provide work working utility for someone. Let's see, my father purchased this Shopsmith in 1972. I took it over in 1995. This original headstock has been working fine from 1972 to now, some 50 years. Pretty good story.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Pretty easy to make a Shop Deputy with your old headstock. You can get the kit from Shopsmith or just find some 1.75" tubes like EMT conduit and work it out yourself. Great to have that extra utility around when your main machine is already set up for a specific task.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

edma194 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:32 am Everyone,
I would like to close out this discussion with the good news that I took delivery this week on my long-awaited PowerPro headstock. I ordered it last June, some 9 months or so ago. I installed the new headstock and am pleased with its performance. Among other qualities, it is quiet. Anyway, my thanks to Renee Blake at Shopsmith who doggedly kept after this long-delayed order. She deserves special credit as an unsung heroine. I will now try to find a good home for my original headstock, which works just fine and will continue to provide work working utility for someone. Let's see, my father purchased this Shopsmith in 1972. I took it over in 1995. This original headstock has been working fine from 1972 to now, some 50 years. Pretty good story.
I'm glad to hear they came through for you. I also would suggest trying to keep your old headstock around if possible, ideally in use. There have been complaints reported here and on youtube of relatively long repair times of PowerPros. We tend to be a little bit spoiled by the reliability, simplicity, and parts availability on conventional headstocks, (not to mention price) where 10 days of down time for a failure would be a lot. That is not necessarily the case with PowerPro. If you experience a failure, there would be nothing unusual about 30 to 90 days of down time. I'm okay with that, but I'm also prepared for it.

- David
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And if they both go down? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

JPG wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:14 pm And if they both go down? :D
That's why I'm replacing my Power Station with a conventional headstock mini! :o

- David
wdelliott
Gold Member

Post by wdelliott »

Thanks David for the suggestion about retaining my old headstock.