Trying to get permissions back

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jtp
Gold Member

Trying to get permissions back

Post by jtp »

Hello I had a shopsmith some years back but with a move had to let her go, recently got another as I have more space now and have been back reading up on here and I think I lost permissions for just some normal things, wanted to dm a member about an item they mentioned selling specifically and it wouldn’t let me

Figured better to ask to get back in the active member category then start a new account

Tried to do this from my profile but couldn’t dm the Admin so that’s why I posted

Thanks and have good night - Tyler
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Trying to get permissions back

Post by beeg »

It could be that they have contacting them turned off.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

says “you are not authorized to view the member list or profiles” any name I click on

Those overhead routers just out of production so my eyes lit up but I mainly just enjoy reading on here and learning so and I can do that so is what it is
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Are you clicking on the cartoon bubble with three dots inside of it, at bottom of the member's profile? Another icon should pop up which, when cursor is hovered over, reads "Send private message".

If you click on "Private messages" near top right corner of screen (between "Notifications" and your user name), that should bring up a screen from which you can send private messages to anyone whose user name you enter. Hit "Add" after typing name in.

I got the same message as you did when I clicked on "Find a member".

I seem to remember that a full list of members used to be viewable, but that may have been before the software was revised and the different "styles" were eliminated.
PM window.jpg
PM window.jpg (215.13 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I sent you a pm. Did you get it?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

Ok got it now ya. I did JPG thanks guys! Appreciate the help.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

A lot of permissions were turned off some time ago in an effort to crack down on spam. Thankfully it seems to be working.

I did look in the Members list quite often, and do miss the access, but don't miss the spam.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Gold Member

Post by MODERATOR »

rpd wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:54 pm A lot of permissions were turned off some time ago in an effort to crack down on spam. Thankfully it seems to be working.

I did look in the Members list quite often, and do miss the access, but don't miss the spam.
Says someone who is not filtering them out.

I attribute the reduction in obvious spam to the increased number of moderators being active.

There are still the ones trying to be sneaky(by not including links) with there initial post that are getting through but we stop them when they do.

We are still getting more than a dozen new spammers daily. One yesterday had created more than 10 that were denied.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

MODERATOR wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:26 am
rpd wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:54 pm A lot of permissions were turned off some time ago in an effort to crack down on spam. Thankfully it seems to be working.

Says someone who is not filtering them out.

I attribute the reduction in obvious spam to the increased number of moderators being active.

There are still the ones trying to be sneaky(by not including links) with there initial post that are getting through but we stop them when they do.

We are still getting more than a dozen new spammers daily. One yesterday had created more than 10 that were denied.
Thank you for your collective diligence then. :) I haven't been seeing them, and I used to report quite a few. Good work.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rpd wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:46 am Thank you for your collective diligence then. :) I haven't been seeing them, and I used to report quite a few. Good work.
+1
Thanks for all of your efforts to combat spam on this forum. It is greatly appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor