woodshop nerdery youtube channel

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Chad
Platinum Member

Good Vibrations: Can Vibration Help Maintain Woodworking Machines?

Post by Chad »

woodshop nerdery

Vibration Analysis is used at the industrial and commercial scale for preventative and predictive maintenance. It requires special software and hardware sensors. But, can I do something similar using my Android Tablet and iPhone that I already own using free software? In this video I record baseline data for my Shopsmith Mark V.

https://www.youtube.com/c/woodshopnerdery
Chad
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Mark 7 Unboxing: Replacing My Trusty Mark V

Post by Chad »

woodshop nerdery

I've enjoyed my Shopsmith Mark V Model 510 for about seven years. I bought it on the used market for the purpose of completing several household remodeling projects. Once I realized what an excellent woodworking machine my Shopsmith was, I began considering upgrades to the Shopsmith Mark 7 with the PowerPro headstock. After years of waiting my opportunity for a new system came by just this week.

Note: My only affiliation with Shopsmith is as a customer. I paid the same price as any other customer and was not compensated in any way for this video. All experiences and opinions conveyed are my own and represent the best of my knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/c/woodshopnerdery
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: woodshop nerdery youtube channel

Post by DLB »

Congratulations on your Mark 7 acquisition! I got mine via the upgrade path, I love it. Question, if you are willing... Another member noted that he bought new bench tubes and they had much thinner walls than the older tubes. He was told by SS CS that the way tubes were also redesigned with thinner walls. The way tube part is unconfirmed. Wondering if you can pop one of the DT Base Arms off your new machine and measure/confirm wall thickness of the way tubes?

IIRC it was mentioned that the new tubes are polished stainless, Vs plating on the old ones (classics).

- David