Am I correct in thinking the clock is ticking on this motor?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jtp
Gold Member

Am I correct in thinking the clock is ticking on this motor?

Post by jtp »

1991 Mark V starts up then immediately dies about 20-30% of the time

Runs perfect once it’s going other than that

I can live with this no problem just start her back up but I’m guessing this an early sign of motor failure probably??? and my planned 2023 power pro purchase should be budgeted in sooner if possible but wanted to see what you all think

Thanks so much - Tyler
jtp
Gold Member

Re: Am I correct in thinking the clock is ticking on this motor?

Post by jtp »

Forgot to add: I always turn the speed down before shutting the machine off, haven’t tested what will happen if I don’t in order to avoid a no start situation
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

It could be as simple as a bad power switch or loose wire.
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

garys wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:55 am It could be as simple as a bad power switch or loose wire.
OK thanks I will check this out when I have time

I was thinking since it started that wasn’t the case but Im not an electronic motor guy
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Check out Jacob Andersons YouTube channel, he has videos on troubleshooting the switch, and the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jacobvb10/videos
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

It does sound like a switch problem in or out of the motor. If the motor runs find after startup it's not a short in the coils which would make the motor trash. If you don't want to deal with the motor yourself there should be an electric motor shop that can do it for you.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Since you are going to be in there anyway getting to the switch and wiring, I would suggest a good clean out of dust and debris especially around the motor. That can also have an effect on the motors ability to function properly. I agree with the others about the switch and/or wiring being the likely problem. Anytime you have to open up the Headstock is a good time to add maintenance/lubrication to the To-Do List.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jtp
Gold Member

Post by jtp »

Awesome I have used his Jacob’s bandsaw video will definitely check that out

Sounds like some switch diag is on the agenda. I always feel really important when I hold a multimeter and it’s cheaper than a motor so this is potentially good news …