What is JPW

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: What is JPW

Post by wa2crk »

Just scored a can at my local Ace Hardware store for just under 10 bucks. It is listed on Amazon for 54+ bucks.
Bill V
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I used mineral spirits or paint thinner to soften Johnson's Paste Wax.

"White spirit (UK & Ireland)[note 1] or mineral spirits (US, Canada), also known as mineral turpentine (AU/NZ), turpentine substitute, and petroleum spirits, is a petroleum-derived clear liquid used as a common organic solvent in painting.[1] There are also terms for specific kinds of mineral spirits, including Stoddard solvent and solvent naphtha (petroleum). Mineral spirits are often used as a paint thinner, or as a component thereof, though paint thinner is a broader category of solvent. Odorless mineral spirits (OMS) have been refined to remove the more toxic aromatic compounds, and are recommended for applications such as oil painting."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My 30+ year old can of Trewax hasn't dried out or hardened yet, so I don't need to find a way to fix it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

garys wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:56 am My 30+-year-old can of Trewax hasn't dried out or hardened yet, so I don't need to find a way to fix it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Probably because you never left the lid off. :)
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

There are 4 Ace hardware stores in my area. I went to two of them today. I now have a lifetime supply of Johnson's paste wax.

I use this stuff so often that the can is always on my workbench,
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

As I said in my previous post, I hadn't found any JPW near me. I had even checked a few Ace, Home Depot and other stores in person. A new Hardware Store location opened a little over a year ago near me (4 miles) which its original store is much further away was my go-to store for less common nuts & bolts. Yesterday I stopped in and there in the wax and polish section of cleaning supplies I found the familiar yellow and red striped JPW cans. They had 7 cans on the shelf. What a find and at 7.99 a can I was so excited to find them I bought 2 cans and even got a senior discount of .80 each. :)
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

rlkeeney wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:40 pm Probably because you never left the lid off. :)
Pretty sure that's how my JPW dried up. Not open for days, but I might use it in the morning and not close it up until I clean up later in the day. I guess that could be days sometimes..
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

edma194 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:59 am Pretty sure that's how my JPW dried up. Not open for days, but I might use it in the morning and not close it up until I clean up later in the day. I guess that could be days sometimes..
I have done that myself. More than once.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:23 am As I said in my previous post, I hadn't found any JPW near me. I had even checked a few Ace, Home Depot and other stores in person. A new Hardware Store location opened a little over a year ago near me (4 miles) which its original store is much further away was my go-to store for less common nuts & bolts. Yesterday I stopped in and there in the wax and polish section of cleaning supplies I found the familiar yellow and red striped JPW cans. They had 7 cans on the shelf. What a find and at 7.99 a can I was so excited to find them I bought 2 cans and even got a senior discount of .80 each. :)
I didn't know that had a senior discount. I bought five cans.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

You can make your own paste wax. It is just a blend of waxes dissolved in a solvent.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory