New Spam Technique

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

New Spam Technique

Post by algale »

I just logged in to find a notification that one of my posts had been quoted.

When I clicked on notification, it took me to a 2018 thread where a user with 1 post had in 2018 quoted something I said in 2018. Now in 2022, the user had edited that post to put a link to a product. But the link was put INSIDE his quote of my post and done in such a way that it made it look like I was recommending the product and telling people to check it out!

I have reported the post to the moderators as spam. I'm not linking to the post because I don't want anyone to go clicking through to the advertised product.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

garys
Platinum Member

Re: New Spam Technique

Post by garys »

Just one good reason I don't mess with notifications. The less linking there is, the better.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

algale wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:24 pm I have reported the post to the moderators as spam. I'm not linking to the post because I don't want anyone to go clicking through to the advertised product.
Post and user are GONE.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've had someone try that too. Notification let me know and when I went to see, there it was, a link that was not mine. So good thing to check notifications and let moderators know if it has been modified with spam link.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Wouldn't be much goin on here without the spammers :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Really????

I been offline for a couple of days.

I now have two pages of unread posts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange