Guitar Resto-Mod underway

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Guitar Resto-Mod underway

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice job !!! something to be proud of . what type of glue did you use ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hobbyman2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:58 pm Nice job !!! something to be proud of . what type of glue did you use ?
Thanks! For the most part I'm using normal Titebond wood glue. This is said to be good for future serviceability since it can be un-done with heat + steam if necessary. I did also have early work on the end-blocks where I was paranoid about the mahogany sides springing loose, and there I used J-B Quik (fast version of J-B Weld) epoxy. That is the dark-ish epoxy line that I covered with veneer wedges in one of the picture postings.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice , a couple years ago I did some testing with hide glue where I made my own from rawhide, it is also used by luthiers , so far it has withstood the test of time , my next test is taking it apart and reglueing the pieces , I had a neighbor years ago that built violins and he all ways made his own glue . I knew tightbond makes a hide glue and your project peaked my curiosity .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Well, I'm finishing up my Covid isolation, and ready to quit thinking about this guitar for a while, too...

The mahogany sides I had bought were a bunch of trouble, splitting and driving me up the wall.

I decided to "mud 'em", to even up the surfaces:
Sides Mud.jpg
Sides Mud.jpg (141.4 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

Then I made up some dark red milk paint from powders I had on hand:
Sides Milk Paint.jpg
Sides Milk Paint.jpg (186.99 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

Later I had oiled all over the thing, and it's to the point I don't want to see it for a while, but at least it works (if not being a stage gloss piece):
Assembled Guitar.jpg
Assembled Guitar.jpg (142.41 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
Back Assembled Guitar.jpg
Back Assembled Guitar.jpg (124.63 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

Thanks for watching,

Chris
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Ouch -- sorry to hear about your troubles with the mahogony sides, Chris. Overall though, it's some really impressive craftsmanship.

This may be a dumb question, as I know nothing about lutherie, but are the sides generally steam-bent? In the first post, you said that you bought curved side pieces from a kit maker. So I assume that they were already formed roughly to the shape you needed?
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Hi Dennis,
You're right, kits will usually have the sides pre-bent. I think premium kits like Stew-Mac's must have great components. I actually spent less than half that amount from an auction seller. So the mahogany sides I got were pre-bent, but they'd already started "rebounding" (curves springing back to larger radii) when I received them. I'm not sure how much of that was the cheapness of the mahogany versus the rigor of the bender/ seller. Anyway, as it turned out I messed with some heat and water -- and a hand-saw -- and I got my "OOO" sides down to more of a "OO" size that I lashed to the end blocks. It was a learning experience. :)

Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Well, 2 years later -- I've liked that resto-mod, but I got the itch to make a guitar from scratch.

Some random points of progress (red oak rift sawn wood for the sides and back)....
IMG_7239.jpeg
IMG_7239.jpeg (286.46 KiB) Viewed 382 times
IMG_7251.jpeg
IMG_7251.jpeg (183.36 KiB) Viewed 382 times
IMG_7258.jpeg
IMG_7258.jpeg (226.41 KiB) Viewed 382 times
IMG_7259.jpeg
IMG_7259.jpeg (206.62 KiB) Viewed 382 times
IMG_7261.jpeg
IMG_7261.jpeg (273.6 KiB) Viewed 382 times
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

The photo with the plane is absolutely gorgeous. Did you make the plane?
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Thank you for sharing. I'm very interested in seeing future progress. Nice photos
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Building a guitar is an ambition I have in my retirement, which is rapidly approaching!!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!