Floating Router Table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigAl
Gold Member

Floating Router Table

Post by BigAl »

I just completed a floating router table for my 510 and I thought I'd post a couple of pictures in case it might give ideas to others.

I made it from some 3/4" lauan veneered plywood I had lying around. I had extra four extra floating table type rip fence mounting tubes that came with the machine when I bought it. I used 1/4" x 1-1/2" aluminum purchased from Amazon for the attachment points to the rip fence tube and I used pieces of 3/4" x 1-1/2" hardwood to reinforce the other two sides. I drilled the aluminum to accept the tube mounts and I also drilled and tapped the aluminum to accept the knurled locking knobs. I found that I needed to put thin washers behind the tube mounting spacers to give the locking knobs enough room to retract and disengage from the extension tubes. The veneer seemed kind of fragile so I gave all the wood a couple of coats of polyurethane to hopefully bind the surface together a little better and make the surface a little slipperier.

Anyway, here it is.
Attachments
Table.JPG
Table.JPG (388.21 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
Table1.JPG
Table1.JPG (371.71 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
Table2.JPG
Table2.JPG (385.55 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
Last edited by BigAl on Sat May 28, 2022 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Floating Router Table

Post by dusty »

Nice work. Should last a long time.

Support the end of the table (like in image #2) to keep from bending the table tubes.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RCZ
Gold Member

Post by RCZ »

Big Al,

Thanks for posting the pics. I've been thinking about how I will add a router table to my 510 and what you've done has given me some good ideas.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Very nice. I am planning to make a router table that will fit on my Shopsmith dedicated drill press instead of a standard table. That would give me both under table and overhead routing capability. So I'm interested in any details on table construction in general and mounting the router if you have any details on that part to of it. I was thinking I should route out a circle in the top of the material just deep enough to hold a router mounting plate to hang the router from so the table thickness isn't using up a lot of router depth adjustment range. But at this point it's all vaporware, I need to solidify a plan.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Nice job Al. Great use of some extra parts. That may be the inspiration I need to do something very similar. I have both Main and Floating/Extension Table 510/505 Fence Rail sets and a 510/505 Fence that are no longer used. I could probably align them to the 520/M7 Fence Rail height to level the top. I think Dusty's comment about supporting the free end of the table is a good one.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
BigAl
Gold Member

Post by BigAl »

edma194 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:39 am Very nice. I am planning to make a router table that will fit on my Shopsmith dedicated drill press instead of a standard table. That would give me both under table and overhead routing capability. So I'm interested in any details on table construction in general and mounting the router if you have any details on that part to of it. I was thinking I should route out a circle in the top of the material just deep enough to hold a router mounting plate to hang the router from so the table thickness isn't using up a lot of router depth adjustment range. But at this point it's all vaporware, I need to solidify a plan.
I don't have any kind of drawing. There are a few critical dimensions. The total width of the wood, aluminum sides and added washers needed to be at 22". That required that I cut the wood part at 21-7/16". The tubes mount 1" down from the top of the table. The tubes have 1/4"-20 mounting studs protruding from them. I drilled the mounting holes slightly oversize to give myself a little room for error. The knobs that lock the tubes go into 1/4"-20 threaded holes in the aluminum. You will need an appropriate tap and drill bit. Horizontal spacing will need to match the tubes you are using.

For the router, I just cut a center hole with a hole saw and drilled and countersunk holes to match the bottom of my old 1/4" Sears router with the plastic sole removed. Using a dedicated router plate recessed into the top would be better, but I think my simple arrangement will be good enough for now.

My router table is really still a work in progress. It should also have a fence with a suitable guard. Any ideas anyone?
1982 Mk V upgraded to a 510.
Gray SS scroll saw, SS Jointer, SS bandsaw
Inherited WWII vintage Atlas/Craftsman drill press
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice job , you are right countersinking the plate in the top allows the use of guide bushings to . they are not to pricey , https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Bushing-Ro ... B004AJYQR0
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
lorasmith
Bronze Member

Post by lorasmith »

Gratitude for posting the pics. I've been contemplating the way that I will add a switch table to my 510 and what you've turned out to be beneficial thoughts.
Last edited by beeg on Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

aracelymarvin reported

AND banned
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER