Sanding Disk Set Screw

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Sanding Disk Set Screw

Post by db5 »

Mine (aluminum) won't stay tightened. What set screw should it have? Mine is smooth on the end and looks as if someone filed it.
Attachments
set screw.JPG
set screw.JPG (12.91 KiB) Viewed 845 times
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Sanding Disk Set Screw

Post by DLB »

Flat point 3/8" long per the document on Everett's Google Drive. I checked my old aluminum disc and that seems right, but it has a lot of miles on it. Mine threads in and out with resistance, as though it was nylock or has a nylon patch, but it doesn't. I don't use it much anymore as I like the long arbor 510/520 discs for better (than none) dust collection.

Note - The newest disc I have (conical) has the setscrew perpendicular to the reverse tapered flat rather than to the spindle. Seems better. The aluminum disc would be relatively easy to add this feature to.

- David
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I just checked my two factory sanding discs and they both have the flat end set screw.
Bill V
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

This is a discussion we have had before about what set screws should be used in attachments that go on the Shopsmith's spindle. To avoid damage to the Spindle a flat or, even and less common, oval end should be used for Sanding Disks, Arbors, Chucks, Spindle, etc. Using the more common Cup Head Set Screws will leave those tell-tale circles which over time will cause problems. If you do not have a flat or oval end set screw a cup one can be used by filing down the cup as it appears was done in your example. It is likely that over time and use the threads in your aluminum Sanding Disk have worn and are not holding a set screw as well as it should.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Thank you. I inserted a new flat one and have an oval as well.