Shopsmith Jacobs 3326 Chuck Key Needed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

Have you thought about just buying a used chuck with key on eBay?
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

or better yet - a new one from SS! :)
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bucksaw wrote:Sounds like my chuck, but I sure can't get a K32 to work properly with the chuck. I'm wondering if Jacobs redesigned the K32 key in recent years.
There might well have been a design change...but, I would think that would result in a number change too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

tdubnik wrote:Have you thought about just buying a used chuck with key on eBay?
eBay chucks cost almost the same as new. I've ordered a new chuck from SS. I went to a local pawn shop today and found a chuck key that works. It is quite a bit smaller than the K32. If I figure out what key it is I will post it here. I'll probably sell the old chuck and key on eBay.

Thanks!
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

I took my chuck with me to Lowes and found one that worked. Will look at see if it has a number or something on it. But I did find one that fix the check off of one of the ER's I picked up.
Thanks
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

This has been an interesting discussion. I have just pulled both my old and new chucks out of the tool chest and find;

My '83 MKV 500 came with a Cushman chuck #C131S. As I have stated before, it will not close enough to grip a 1/16" drill bit. My new chuck, I'm assuming is a Jacobs, however the only marking is the Shopsmith logo. Both chucks have 30 teeth. However the key hole on the Cushman chuck is drilled for a key with a .172" tip. The tip on the Shopsmith chuck measures .166. Thus the older key will not fit in the new chuck. The key from the newer chuck will fit in the Cushman, but the fit is loose and the operation is sloppy.
bucksaw
Gold Member

Post by bucksaw »

Still not sure if it is the correct chuck key but the chuck key I picked up at the pawn shop that works with the Jacobs 3326 chuck is a Jacobs K30 key.
Dave - Idaho
Greenie S#261612 - Mar 1954 / Greenie S#305336 - Oct 1955 / Gray S#SS1360 - ?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?" :cool:
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

8iowa wrote:This has been an interesting discussion. I have just pulled both my old and new chucks out of the tool chest and find]My new chuck, I'm assuming is a Jacobs, however the only marking is the Shopsmith logo.[/color] Both chucks have 30 teeth. However the key hole on the Cushman chuck is drilled for a key with a .172" tip. The tip on the Shopsmith chuck measures .166. Thus the older key will not fit in the new chuck. The key from the newer chuck will fit in the Cushman, but the fit is loose and the operation is sloppy.
Hi all,
In my qwest for a keyless chuck, I e-mailed several pictures of my chuck that came with my Mark V to Jacobs. It is the ribbed one with only a SS logo for identification. Jacobs told me that it is knot a Jacobs chuck.
[quote] [align=left]Tim,

The chuck that you currently have is not a Jacobs chuck ...
Thanks,
Mike
[/quote][/color][/SIZE][/font][/align]
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

a1gutterman wrote:Hi all,
In my qwest for a keyless chuck, I e-mailed several pictures of my chuck that came with my Mark V to Jacobs. It is the ribbed one with only a SS logo for identification. Jacobs told me that it is knot a Jacobs chuck.
I wonder....what does this chuck look like? Sure wish I could see some of those photos, the ones that Jacobs looked at.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Here is a picture of the two types of chucks I have. They all use the KK key.

Maybe we could get a few other types posted as a reference???

[ATTACH]3178[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
drill chucks.jpg
drill chucks.jpg (364.51 KiB) Viewed 12331 times
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]