Wax on - Was Off

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

db5
Platinum Member

Wax on - Was Off

Post by db5 »

I just watched Scott's video on waxing and probably have a lot of wax buildup over the years which keeps the main table and motor from moving smoothly (they don't). How can I remove the wax without removing both? would arisol carburetor cleaner, MAF cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. work?
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Wax on - Was Off

Post by wa2crk »

Some hardware and auto supply stores sell wax and grease remover used in the auto body repair trade. Should do the trick
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

db5 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:07 pm I just watched Scott's video on waxing and probably have a lot of wax buildup over the years which keeps the main table and motor from moving smoothly (they don't). How can I remove the wax without removing both? would arisol carburetor cleaner, MAF cleaner, brake cleaner, etc. work?
I don't think you need anything that strong. The solvent in JPW is Stoddard solvent. That is a petroleum base solvent. I would use plain old mineral spirits which is also a petroleum based solvent.

Automotive waxes are very different from paste furniture wax so automotive products would not be my choice.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Mineral spirits will remove Johnson's Paste Wax. Real mineral sprits, not the fake green stuff.

Paint thinner works too, it is less refined mineral spirits. It is also cheaper.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory