Tire Creep

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

I have to say I had a very similiar thing happen to me. I had the bandsaw on a power station on a relative low speed but I can't recall exactly what it was. With a 1/2 (new) blade installed it made strange noises and the bandsaw was "sputtering" - the speed was slowing/speeding up. After opening up the cover and runnng it again, the bottow tire went FLYING off. I should have suspected something when I was spinning it by hand and the tires seemed to move a little out from the back to the front. Sounds like I may need some new ones.
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

rcoder wrote:OK, After 30+ years in the HS Biology classroom I gave detentions to clean glassware for less.
after Ed's comment, I couldn't help but wonder why one would send clean glassware to detention? :o

seriously, though: do you recall (or are they labeled) what size tires you put on those wheels 3 years ago?

I have seen the threads that point out the speed limits with the urethane tires and find myself wondering if the urethane might have undergone creep in the hoop direction and gotten larger while sitting there under tension of being stretched around the wheel. (yeah, I may have spent too much time in materials science courses<g>) alternatively, there may be some lubricants or drying agents that encourage the urethane to be stretchier.

please keep us posted what you find.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
rcoder
Gold Member

Tire Creep

Post by rcoder »

No indications on the tires as to size. I used a fiber glass tape and the o.d. was 33 inches. I believe that would be too much expansion even for urethane. Yes there were several occasion that I left the tension for 24 hrs. never more.

When I think back to when I first installed them it did not take a great deal of stretching. Nothing like described on these forums and the instructions. That perhaps should have been my first clue. The next should have been the information posted regarding SS being sent tires of the wrong size.

Bob