I Just Purchased 10E Number 143

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: I Just Purchased 10E Number 143

Post by chapmanruss »

I thought you might enjoy seeing a bench I made for my Model 10E. It follows one of the two Wood Bench plans Magna included with the Model 10's. This one marked 160-2 also includes the plans for a rack for Shopsmith Attachments on the back side. I plan to make one of those racks. I preferred this plan over the other plan which may have actually been the first plan included with the Model 10E. I actually made two of these benches just before I went on vacation but have not put a finish on them yet. On the one below I will move Model 10E S/N 1077 from its current Shopsmith metal bench end and 2 x 8 boards bench with retractable casters to this one. When restored, I will put Model 10E S/N 1076 on the second matching bench. I am adding the retractable casters to both of these wood benches. It is nice the retractable casters were designed to fit both the metal end benches and these wood benches from the Magna plans.

_
Bench for 10E 1077.jpg
Bench for 10E 1077.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
I still haven't decided if I want to stain the wood or just a clear finish. I am leaning toward just a clear finish to protect the wood as most probably didn't have a finish put on them back then. The 2 X 4's on both benches under the top have some history as they came from my house built in 1957 during a remodel I did. They are from 4 wall studs. I liked being able to use them as they added some extra character to the project.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:22 pm I still haven't decided if I want to stain the wood or just a clear finish. I am leaning toward just a clear finish to protect the wood as most probably didn't have a finish put on them back then. The 2 X 4's on both benches under the top have some history as they came from my house built in 1957 during a remodel I did. They are from 4 wall studs. I liked being able to use them as they added some extra character to the project.
That's a great looking bench! i like material with a history. I noticed you upgraded the legs to 4x4 and rabet joined them, that's a nice way to add a wider stance and make it more stable.
20220711_190649.jpg
20220711_190649.jpg (284.91 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
The version of blueprints i have call for "finished" wood in the parts list. l for the 2x4 and 2x6 top frame. I assume this was pre-finished clear coated dimensional lumber. Not even sure if that is sold anymore besides in craft stores.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Joel,

The Blueprint of the Bench Plan you show the upper right corner of above is different than the two bench plans I have. It must be a third one I haven't seen before. It calls for 1 Piece 2" X 4" X 8' for the legs whereas the one I used calls for 1 Piece 4" X 4" X 7' for the legs. Everything else appears to be the same. The plan I used calls for that rabbit cut to fit as shown in the PDF of the plans I used below. I would be interested in seeing the complete bench plan you showed the corner of in your post above. If you can scan it as a PDF and post it here others may be interested too.
Shopsmith Bench Plans 160-2.PDF
(2.18 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:17 pm Joel,

The Blueprint of the Bench Plan you show the upper right corner of above is different than the two bench plans I have. It must be a third one I haven't seen before. It calls for 1 Piece 2" X 4" X 8' for the legs whereas the one I used calls for 1 Piece 4" X 4" X 7' for the legs. Everything else appears to be the same. The plan I used calls for that rabbit cut to fit as shown in the PDF of the plans I used below. I would be interested in seeing the complete bench plan you showed the corner of in your post above. If you can scan it as a PDF and post it here others may be interested too.
Shopsmith Bench Plans 160-2.PDF
Very interesting! I will scan and post it tomorrow, I will also scan the manual Incase it is also different.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

Restoration complete.

Show and tell time!
[youtube]https://youtu.be/49HwV_ThynQ[/youtube]
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Golf ball knobs!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Joel,

That's quite a transformation. I think my wife may like the colors as they are her High School Colors and we live right behind her High School. :D
Our son and daughter also went there.

I know rust removal can be a daunting task but for anyone watching Joel's YouTube video I don't recommend using power tools to clean rust off the Way Tubes or other parts. The idea is to remove the rust and gunk off the part but not remove any base metal.

That being said, Joel it looks great and the Golf Ball Knobs are a nice touch.

Thanks for a glimpse of the Bench Plans in the video. It does appear those plans are the same as the one I used except yours uses 2 x 4's for the legs instead of 4 x 4's. For yours you opted using three 2 x 6's in place of the 3/4" plywood top as suggested in the plans. The only downside I see to the 2 x 4 legs is you cannot mount the Retractable Casters directly to them because of the spacing. The Retractable Casters mount on 15 1/2" centers. They can be attached using an additional board like the one shown in the picture below. This was from a 10ER I restored over 8 years ago that came on a wooden bench with the Retractable Casters mounted outboard to the bench legs. That wood bench was not built like any of the three Shopsmith/Magna Bench Plans I have now seen.

_
60582_10ER 2.jpg
60582_10ER 2.jpg (43.05 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Russ

Mark V 520
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

JPG wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:45 amGolf ball knobs!
I spared no expense. 😁
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

chapmanruss wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:08 pm Joel,

That's quite a transformation. I think my wife may like the colors as they are her High School Colors and we live right behind her High School. :D
Our son and daughter also went there.

I know rust removal can be a daunting task but for anyone watching Joel's YouTube video I don't recommend using power tools to clean rust off the Way Tubes or other parts. The idea is to remove the rust and gunk off the part but not remove any base metal.

That being said, Joel it looks great and the Golf Ball Knobs are a nice touch.

Thanks for a glimpse of the Bench Plans in the video. It does appear those plans are the same as the one I used except yours uses 2 x 4's for the legs instead of 4 x 4's. For yours you opted using three 2 x 6's in place of the 3/4" plywood top as suggested in the plans. The only downside I see to the 2 x 4 legs is you cannot mount the Retractable Casters directly to them because of the spacing. The Retractable Casters mount on 15 1/2" centers. They can be attached using an additional board like the one shown in the picture below. This was from a 10ER I restored over 8 years ago that came on a wooden bench with the Retractable Casters mounted outboard to the bench legs. That wood bench was not built like any of the three Shopsmith/Magna Bench Plans I have now seen.

_
60582_10ER 2.jpg
Thanks Russ!

The colors came out a little more Playschool than what i was aiming for, but I am still very happy with the results. Glad your wife likes them.

They are also a nod to my friends in Ukraine 🇺🇦.

I planned on not using any power tools, but the pitting was so deep on the way tubes, i couldn't get to it. The sander at the end was a fine grain to remove the scratches from the flap disc. Once i got them waxed, and used a heat gun to melt the wax into the pores, it sealed up nicely and seems to still slide easily.

I may turn some balls later, but the golf balls were fun and easy to paint and epoxy onto 3/8 zinc bolts for the handles.

I will upload the blueprints and manual shortly, the evolution of the bench is interesting. I definitely need casters to move this thing around so i may make some wood end bars like in your picture. I will need to source some casters too if you know where I can find them.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143
joelgardner
Gold Member

Post by joelgardner »

Here is the complete bench plan that was tucked into my manual.
Shopsmith 10E Bench Blueprint (Joel Gardner).pdf
(255.64 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Feel free to download, copy, and share any place that it can be helpfull.
Joel Gardner
1948 SS 10E #1143