New owner, chuck question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Nomadic
Bronze Member

New owner, chuck question

Post by Nomadic »

Hey guys 🙂 I just got my first shopsmith yesterday to get back into turning, I've never had the opportunity to use one of these machines, but always wanted one, found one for cheap that came with a speed reducer anyway installed, and a literal bucket (probably 30-40) sorby turning chisels for $300, so here I am 🤷‍♂️ I have a question about this chuck that came stretched to the sort reducer, it doesn't look like I can remove the main cylinder, and if have no idea how it's supposed to hold anything? Maybe I don't have all the parts? Any help would be much appreciated 😎

...I haven't been able to get my phone to take pictures that are under the file size limit, so this link is to a photo gallery site that has all the pictures, thanks in advance

https://imgur.com/a/Zr7JCmu
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New owner, chuck question

Post by JPG »

You need tommy bars.

Those holes in the edge of the two cylindrical parts take the bars and allow great torque that will tighten the sliding clamps in position.

As for radial clamping I have not a clue.(yet)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I overlooked the intermediate part with the cone shape. The clamps also have a tapered edge that rides on the cone. When the outer collar is tightened, the clamps are EXPANDED by sliding to the larger od of the cone. The outer edges of the clamps are tapered to fit into a sorta dovetailed socket turned into the workpiece (bowl???). There is a name for the shape in the base of the bowl, but I am having a senior moment.

spigot??
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

A Robert Sorby Precision Chuck. An early design for a wood lathe chuck.
http://www.tool-hunter.com/tools-that-m ... sion-chuck
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RonKlein
Gold Member

Post by RonKlein »

Nomadic,
If you need a copy of the manual for that chuck, PM me with your email address, and I will send it to you.
Ron
Ron--K6VPV
510, upgraded to 520, now PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, jointmatic, scroll saw, strip sander, pro planer, OPR, DC3300, and more.