Old American Woodworker Artical

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

Ed,

Thank you for the details that you provided, this is helpful.

Dan
etc92guy
Gold Member

Post by etc92guy »

dcottrill - PM sent.
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

I believe that I've confused the issue, as I was looking for information on two different projects.
  1. The SS Tool Chest seen in the Sawdust sessions with the SS logo inlaid on it
  2. The cabinet that rest on a stand in the American Woodworking magazine.
I picked up the American Woodworker magazine with Nick's article in it on the cabinet. Excellent article on the cabinet with the details needed to make it.

As for item 1, I have begun to make up a set of plans for a similar styled Tool Chest. The plan's are being develop in Google Sketch up. As I'm learning Google Sketch up and also how to make a tool chest at the same time this project is taking a lot longer than expected to complete. What is left to do in the plans are some of the finer details of the joinery and attachment of the parts. These items include:
  • The Upper Drawer Divider's thickness and attachment to the case (1/2" stop dado in top),
  • The thickness of the drawer sides, back, and front (believe to be 3/8", lock joint),
  • The joinery and attachment of the back raised panel to the chest sides, bottom, and top (???),
  • The inlay thickness and glue up (I've never done this before).
If there is any interest in the plans that I'm working on, or if you have ideas or suggestion on some of the finer details of making a tool chest let me know.
albie
Gold Member

Tool Box Plans

Post by albie »

Is this the tool box?
http://www.freetoolboxplans.com/
http://www.freetoolboxplans.com/
It does not have the inlay in the drawer fronts, but it looks like it!

AL B
Al B
Shopsmith Greenie (my late Dad's); My 520, 6" Belt Sander, Bandsaw, Jointer, pro planer, scroll saw, Jig saw, strip sander, router table, OPR, dust collector, power station, & power stands
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

AL B,

Thanks for the link. This is close, but not quite what I have in mine. What I'm would like to build is a Tool Chest that consist of all drawers similar to the one built at the academy, see links to pictures. The front door swings down and then slides in under the drawers. This part I believe that I've figured out. There needs to be about 1/16" of "play" at the bottom of the front door and above it to the bottom of the drawer when it is open.

I believe that the front inlays are actually Boulle Marquetry and that is how there is a reverse inlay of the SS logo on the Panel door and on the face of the drawers. This is a technique that is new to me and I've never done inlay or Marquetry before.

The drawer joinery in this tool chest a currently plan to use, I'm just not sure the thickness of the drawer pieces.

I had hope to talk to someone that actually attended the SS summer woodworking academy and made one of these.

Thank you for you assistance. Every little bit helps.

Dan
Attachments
Chests_Front_260.jpg
Chests_Front_260.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 6521 times
Toolbox_Drawers_Open_260.jpg
Toolbox_Drawers_Open_260.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
Toolbox_Door_closed_CC_640.jpg
Toolbox_Door_closed_CC_640.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 6510 times
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=======================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dcottrill
Gold Member

Post by dcottrill »

SS tells me they are not for sale. I was also told that SS was going to make a DVD on building the Tool Chest.

If they sold the plans I would purchase them, however I'm close to finishing up a set of plans for one that will be similar.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Dan! Although I can't speak directly about this chest, all of my past chests and drawers have all had 1/2" stock for drawer sides and back. There is a good reason for this. Interlocking fronts and backs work nicely with 1/2" stock.. The 1/4" dados fit without extra wood in 1/2" wood. The dados can be cut with either a router bit of a dado blade.

If you want to use 1/2" stock for a drawer front the drawer goes together very easily. From here a false decorative drawer front is often applied. You can also use 3/4" stock or 3/8" wood for the front if you wish. This way the front can be made to overlap/cover the joint, and you don't need a false front.

Take a look at the drawer plans for the chest the albie sent. These should explain what I'm writing about.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

-===========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I made this for my brother years ago out of Walnut. The front slides under the drawers. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=464&filter=tool%20chect%20plan