45 Inch Connector Tubes

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

DLB
Platinum Member

45 Inch Connector Tubes

Post by DLB »

I noticed an option for 45" Connector Tubes, 556201, in the recent Shopsmith Sales Ad (ending tonight). I had never seen a 45" version from SS before this ad. This, to me, is a pretty attractive size option. I frequently find the 27" standard version to be on the short side for whatever it is I'm trying to set up. The Connector Tube options are kind of hidden in this ad under the Mark V 500 Service Parts heading. ;)

Note - The 5' version Connector Tubes are also on sale in the ad, as well as in the next ad. (With JSB's 520 table setup pictured.)

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: 45 Inch Connector Tubes

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:49 pm I noticed an option for 45" Connector Tubes, 556201, in the recent Shopsmith Sales Ad (ending tonight). I had never seen a 45" version from SS before this ad. This, to me, is a pretty attractive size option. I frequently find the 27" standard version to be on the short side for whatever it is I'm trying to set up. The Connector Tube options are kind of hidden in this ad under the Mark V 500 Service Parts heading. ;)

Note - The 5' version Connector Tubes are also on sale in the ad, as well as in the next ad. (With JSB's 520 table setup pictured.)

- David
The email I got yesterday does not have anything about 45" connector tubes or anything about Mark V 500 Service Parts. Also it ends on 15 Aug. Here is the link to the add on the web site.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV879

The 45" tubes do exist. Maybe they came out with that length when the MK 4 was introduced.

That is the second picture of one of my table setups SS has used in one of their adds.

Hmmm... Having reread what you said it appears that you got two adds. I only got the one picturing my table set up. :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV878

The email version of this one came a few days ago, today is the last day. Another thing I've noted on occasion is that the emails and on-line ads don't always have the same info. Great job on your pictures! (Are those SS 5' tubes, or your aftermarket version?)

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:22 pm https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV878

The email version of this one came a few days ago, today is the last day. Another thing I've noted on occasion is that the emails and on-line ads don't always have the same info. Great job on your pictures! (Are those SS 5' tubes, or your aftermarket version?)

- David
Ops... I forgot. :o I did get the email above.

The 5' tubes in that picture are SS. That picture was taken when I was still working in my garage before I built the dedicated shop. The dedicated shop was built in 2009. The aftermarket tubes were bought sometime around 2018.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I saw the 45" tubes in one of the ads. Now an online as is offering a sale price on 5" tubes. That seemed kind of expensive for just 5" so a little further checking showed me it was a total rip-off because those tubes are actually 60" long. You'd have to cut them to get 6" tubes and throw the rest away.

521942 5" Connector Tubes (Set of 2)
Regularly: $58.25 Email Special: $46.60 -- You Save $11.65
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

edma194 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:20 pm I saw the 45" tubes in one of the ads. Now an online as is offering a sale price on 5" tubes. That seemed kind of expensive for just 5" so a little further checking showed me it was a total rip-off because those tubes are actually 60" long. You'd have to cut them to get 6" tubes and throw the rest away.

521942 5" Connector Tubes (Set of 2)
Regularly: $58.25 Email Special: $46.60 -- You Save $11.65
Huhhh??? You are saying this in jest, right? :) Obviously the web site add has a typo. They are not selling 5 inch tubes. The email add says 5 foot.
Attachments
5foot.png
5foot.png (161.46 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

jsburger wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm Huhhh??? You are saying this in jest, right? :) Obviously the web site add has a typo. They are not selling 5 inch tubes. The email add says 5 foot.
Of course. If I wanted a 5" tube I could just weld a pair of 2-1/2" tubes together.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

Today I learned that the wall mount table storage system that SS sells (now on sale) includes one(!) 45" 'Mounting Tube' along with two brackets. I'm guessing there is little or no difference between a 45 inch mounting tube and a 45 inch connector tube, maybe they should include a pair. This may be where the 45" tube idea came from, but I'm hoping to find it is the perfect size for a shorty.(?) John mentioned in an earlier post that they might have been intended for the Mark 4. Mine have shipped!

The new ad also includes a picture credited to John for the table extension brackets. (Email version only, the on-line ad doesn't currently have it.)

- David
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

DLB wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:25 pm Today I learned that the wall mount table storage system that SS sells (now on sale) includes one(!) 45" 'Mounting Tube' along with two brackets. I'm guessing there is little or no difference between a 45 inch mounting tube and a 45 inch connector tube, maybe they should include a pair. This may be where the 45" tube idea came from, but I'm hoping to find it is the perfect size for a shorty.(?) John mentioned in an earlier post that they might have been intended for the Mark 4. Mine have shipped!

The new ad also includes a picture credited to John for the table extension brackets. (Email version only, the on-line ad doesn't currently have it.)

- David
After all a MK 4 is essentially a SS produced shorty.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I got my 45" connector tubes, 556201, yesterday. A couple of observations:
1) They appear to be polished stainless steel. Unlike other tubes in my possession, the magnet is not attracted to them.
2) They are about 20 thou thinner in the walls than my 5 foot tubes, but similar to various 27" and 18" tubes I have. I had not previously noticed that the 5 foot ones had thicker walls. It is possible that my 5 footers are non-OEM, I bought them used. (Or that this is normal.)

- David