How to use rip fence set screws

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Ash1562
Gold Member

How to use rip fence set screws

Post by Ash1562 »

The rip fence has these two set screws. Are they used to make slight adjustments to make it line up with the table and blade? Or are they used for locking in the fence in place?
Attachments
20220904_082907.jpg
20220904_082907.jpg (86.53 KiB) Viewed 456 times
1960's vintage Shopsmith Mark VII with Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Jointer
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: How to use rip fence set screws

Post by DLB »

Ash1562 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:29 am The rip fence has these two set screws. Are they used to make slight adjustments to make it line up with the table and blade? Or are they used for locking in the fence in place?
Some fences have one or two setscrews intended to adjust the fence out of true for a specific operation. (520 and new-style Mark 7 don't have the setscrews). They should be backed out and not in contact when you true/square the fence and 99% of the time. Some would say 100%. I'm linking the only operation I have ever done using the setscrew to bias the fence, from Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone (PTFE): https://www.shopsmith.com/academy/discsand/index.htm Scroll down to "Edge Sanding." While that setup works as well as it ever did, a Conical sanding disc gives better results and uses the fence without any bias.

You have the 60's version Mark VII, which I've never used. I'm presuming the same purpose as Mark 5/V prior to 520.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I can't recall any operation other than what David suggested and is covered in the books Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone and Modern Power Tool Woodworking. Modern Power Tool Woodworking is the Mark VII version of PTWFE and starting on page 276 it mentions the same operation for the Mark VII. It is interesting though that this operation would be included for the Mark VII since it came with a 10" double sided flat/conical sanding disk.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
HopefulSSer
Gold Member

Post by HopefulSSer »

Always make sure that after you've finished sanding to back out the bias screw. Otherwise your ripping operations will not go well. Ask me how I know.
Greenie SN 362819 (upgraded to 510), Bandsaw 106878, Jointer SS16466
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Would that be something you do to a Soccer Ball but going in reverse? :eek:
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.