Match for current SS gray paint?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steverboss
Gold Member

Match for current SS gray paint?

Post by steverboss »

I need to repaint my headstock. I’ve already repainted my entire SS Mk 510 several years ago using SS brand spray paint. I just need to know if anyone has matched, or closely matched the current SS gray with another good spray paint color, like maybe in Rustoleum?
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Match for current SS gray paint?

Post by chapmanruss »

I use Rust-Oleum Charcoal Gray paint with a Matte Finish Clear Coat for my Model 10 restorations. It is a slightly lighter gray than the Shopsmith gray touch up paint. For my gray Mark series tools, I have only used the Shopsmith gray touch up paint in both the pre and post 10-01-2001 formulas. I have both pre and post 10-01-2001 Marks. Besides being slightly lighter the Rust-Oleum paint combination has a bit of a different finished look than the Shopsmith gray touch up paint. I haven't tried it but maybe Rust-Oleum Charcoal Gray paint with a Satin Finish Clear Coat would look closer in its finish to the Shopsmith gray touch up paint but would still be slightly lighter. If you are looking to save money on paint the Rust-Oleum Charcoal Gray paint with a Satin or Matte Finish Clear Coat would be cheaper than the Shopsmith gray touch up paint even though you need two different cans of Rust-Oleum. If I were to use the Rust-Oleum Charcoal Gray paint with a Satin or Matte Finish Clear Coat, I would paint the entire tool to match.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

My initial thought when I read this was why not just order the touch-up paint or the appropriate color paint for your vintage Shopsmith, but then I looked at the website. A 12 oz can is now $17.89 from the mothership. Ouch. Has it always been this price or did it go up recently? Paying $26.38 to get one can of spray paint shipped is quite painful.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Yes RFGuy, Ouch.

The price has gone up since I last bought the Shopsmith gray touch up paint a few years ago. Even then it was about two and a half to three times more than a can of Rust-Oleum.
Russ

Mark V 520
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

Well, for those interested, I tried the Rustoleum charcoal gray gloss enamel and the color appears to be a perfect match to my eyes. Of course it is gloss, so as mentioned above, I then sprayed over it with Rustoleum matte finish and voila! Right on! Thank you for that tip!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Glad to hear the color and clear coat worked for you. I'll have to compare some more Model 10 painted items to the Mark series tools again. I just painted some Model 10E parts yesterday so I can compare a freshly painted part to the Marks. More Model 10E parts to paint still and hoping to get serial numbers 1033 and 1076 finished by their 75th anniversary in November.
Russ

Mark V 520
steverboss
Gold Member

Re: update on Match for current SS gray paint?

Post by steverboss »

I found a very, very close match to Shopsmith gray spray paint, and it has a satin finish. Shopsmith brand gray spray paint is so expensive especially with shipping costs. It’s Rustoleum Painters Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Primer Satin Charcoal Gray. Not 100% exactly the same, but so close that unless the 2 are put side by side you or can’t tell the difference. And it’s only $8.69 including shipping on Amazon.
Attachments
9FC31120-002A-451C-A5BA-799FEA57D121.jpeg
9FC31120-002A-451C-A5BA-799FEA57D121.jpeg (219.68 KiB) Viewed 895 times
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I repainted the legs on a 510 about 10 years ago using Rustoleum Primer. That's right PRIMER. It matched the rest of the SS
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

Was there a specific color for that primer? Like dark gray primer, or charcoal gray primer, etc. or do you remember?