I have a friend (with a SS Mark V)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benmcn
Gold Member

Re: I have a friend (with a SS Mark V)

Post by benmcn »

The power station is a nice add on.

The jigsaw is no longer supported by Shopsmith.
Scott at mygrowthrings has a video showing how it works. If you do end up purchasing it, make sure it has oil in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPp5AhCU3t0
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Glad we were able to clarify Jointer vs. Planer. There is a difference in the value as Roy pointed out. What you pay is going to be something you work out with your friend. Pluses for you is getting some nice tools. Pluses for your friend is getting more space by not having tools he doesn't use and some money in his pocket. From the pictures everything looks in pretty good condition.

The Jig Saw as already mentioned is no longer made and like the original aka 500 Table System parts are no longer being made by Shopsmith. They may have some replacement parts still in stock but not the common parts that need replacing like the gasket for the housing cover. The good news is a replacement can easily be made.

Hopefully there are Owner's Manuals for Mark V and the SPT's which stands for Single or Special Purpose Tools like the Band Saw, Jig Saw, etc. If not, there are many of them available for free as PDF's. There is a Summary Manual for the different models of the Mark V available right here on the Shopsmith website at the bottom of the page at the link below.

https://www.shopsmith.com/service/mark/index.htm

This is not the complete manual but has a lot of the information on using and maintaining the Mark V. It does contain more information than many of the earlier Manuals. There is a PDF copy of the current Bandsaw Manual and parts diagram/list available from Shopsmith at the link below. Scroll down the page below Other Information Manuals to find it. There are many other manuals available there too.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm

The current Bandsaw is different having the newer Aluminum Table but most functions are still the same. Most parts not including the table are the same or compatible and as with Shopsmith Tools that Bandsaw is upgradeable to newer features.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

Thanks for all the good information, guys!
Mark V 500 upgraded to 520
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
Bosch 1617EVS & Router Table
Craftsman 351.23371 Planer
Performax 16-32 Thickness Sander (finally tracking right!)
...and a growing collection of traditional hand tools.
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

After lurking here for weeks, I finally made an offer. Now I have to clear space out of the tiny woodshop!
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

Bought it!
Now I'm in the process of clearing shop space for it by giving some of my space-hogging tools to unsuspecting family members.
Need to ask a question though...anybody ever cut, sand, shape fiberglass on your SS? I know that sounds crazy, but I have made a few Bingham recurve archery bows (Diamondwood, phenolic and fiberglass layers). Stuff is brutal on blades; I could only get one bow per bandsaw blade, but I never thought about the innards of my power tools. Might be why my Rigid oscillating belt sander has a sloppy wobble. Just wondering if I dare subject the SS to that kind of abuse.
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
BillVan
Silver Member

Post by BillVan »

It is called fiberGLASS for a reason. The fibers are actually glassfibers and the dust is extremely abrasive. If possible try to use very efficient dust collection and clean all dust after machining. Also glass dust is not good for your lungs. Causes cancers and other major lung problems. SAFETY FIRST
BILL v
CreekWood
Gold Member

Post by CreekWood »

It's 8 months later, but I finally gained back space in my tiny shop and retrieved the SS and all it's accessories. Actually, I cleared the space out back in October, but somebody else needed it more than I.
Anyway, the first thing I noticed is the lack of casters on the Power Station...and those legs don't have a natural spot to poke standard casters in. I watched Scott's "Regrets" video which covers the addition of caster assemblies to his PS. I think they're a little pricey, but I do like the idea of legs resting directly on the floor better than hoping that a locking caster will actually stay put. I was ready to order a set--but the catalog confused me.
1) the caster page refers to a "power stand" -- will these fit the Power Stand also?
2) what do the extended height casters get you?
Oh, and I'm definitely replacing the Mark V wheels with the gray thermoplastic ones. Looks like the previous owner stuck some plastic bed- frame rollers down there.
Delta 36-725 TS
Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

CreekWood wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:32 am It's 8 months later, but I finally gained back space in my tiny shop and retrieved the SS and all it's accessories. Actually, I cleared the space out back in October, but somebody else needed it more than I.
Anyway, the first thing I noticed is the lack of casters on the Power Station...and those legs don't have a natural spot to poke standard casters in. I watched Scott's "Regrets" video which covers the addition of caster assemblies to his PS. I think they're a little pricey, but I do like the idea of legs resting directly on the floor better than hoping that a locking caster will actually stay put. I was ready to order a set--but the catalog confused me.
1) the caster page refers to a "power stand" -- will these fit the Power Stand also?

555353 will fit the Power Station, most (IIRC) of the old Power Stands, and evidently the new Power Stands. These appear to be the same as the current Mark casters except they include different mounting hardware.

2) what do the extended height casters get you?

These would go with the 'new' height extensions for the 'new' Power Stands. My guess would be they include different mounting hardware compatible with the larger footprint from the extensions.

Oh, and I'm definitely replacing the Mark V wheels with the gray thermoplastic ones. Looks like the previous owner stuck some plastic bed- frame rollers down there.
The bed-frame rollers might be the OEM wheels. I have not tried the gray thermoplastic ones. I like the large wheel upgrade that SS sells for Marks, but it might be overkill to adapt it to a Power Station. IIWM I'd consider buying the 3" complete assemblies for the Mark and then re-use the Mark caster sets on the PS. It's a little more money. How much better the 3" wheels work depends a lot on the quality and finish of your shop's floor.

- David
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The Power Station uses the same Retractable Caster Assembly as the Mark V models, Mark 7 & 4. The difference is they use round plastic spacers between the legs and Caster Assembly ends plus longer screws. Sorry I cannot give you the spacer dimensions or screw length. Right now everything is packed and getting ready to move. On my Power Stations I use the regular 2" casters which with their lighter weight works fine for me.

The picture below shows the 2" plastic wheels that have come on the Retractable Caster Assembly for decades. Previously they were metal wheels.

_
Retractable Casters - Mark 5.jpg
Retractable Casters - Mark 5.jpg (222.75 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIRC the spacers used with the power station are 9/16". The screws need to be correspondingly longer.

Note power STATION , NOT power STAND.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange