How to Mount a Band Saw Blade Upside Down!

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

How to Mount a Band Saw Blade Upside Down!

Post by algale »

When opening a new band saw blade, I have long been in the habit of letting it spring open by removing the twist ties and just letting go of it a few inches above the floor of my shop. I think Nick demonstrated this technique and it has never given me a problem.

Yesterday, however, I opened a brand new Shopsmith 3/8" band saw blade in my usual way and mounted it. Tensioned it up and tried to cut with it. Dull. Burning. Then I noticed it: the teeth were oriented facing "up" where the blade went through the table insert. It would have been very obvious with a blade with larger teeth.

I'd never seen or heard of a band saw blade mounted with its teeth facing up. In fact, I didn't think it was possible. I puzzled it for a few minutes and then it occurred to me: when the blade sprung open, it must have twisted itself inside out! I removed the blade, twisted it back the other way, remounted it and went about my business.

Anyone ever experience this?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: How to Mount a Band Saw Blade Upside Down!

Post by jsburger »

I have not experienced that. However, I would think one would have to make a conscious effort to turn a blade inside out. In other words it couldn't (shouldn't) happen during packaging. I wonder if it was turned the wrong way (unnoticed) when welded and then just got coiled and packaged.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think by letting it 'uncoil' itself, the possibility of becoming 'inside out' is possible.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I remember one popping out like that but I think it was one I twisted into a figure 8 myself. It was a pretty narrow blade and I think I caught it when I tried to mount it. I have mounted a chainsaw chain backwards. It cut like a dull chain and it got very hot and the bar oil started smoking.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:01 pm When opening a new band saw blade, I have long been in the habit of letting it spring open by removing the twist ties and just letting go of it a few inches above the floor of my shop. I think Nick demonstrated this technique and it has never given me a problem.

Yesterday, however, I opened a brand new Shopsmith 3/8" band saw blade in my usual way and mounted it. Tensioned it up and tried to cut with it. Dull. Burning. Then I noticed it: the teeth were oriented facing "up" where the blade went through the table insert. It would have been very obvious with a blade with larger teeth.

I'd never seen or heard of a band saw blade mounted with its teeth facing up. In fact, I didn't think it was possible. I puzzled it for a few minutes and then it occurred to me: when the blade sprung open, it must have twisted itself inside out! I removed the blade, twisted it back the other way, remounted it and went about my business.

Anyone ever experience this?
YES
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Glad to know it isn't just me!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Yes, I had it happen once.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
BillVan
Silver Member

Post by BillVan »

I have heard of this before But I have never experienced it. So I tried to turn a blade inside out and all I succeeded in doing is cutting my fingers.
Bill V
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

BillVan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:48 pm I have heard of this before But I have never experienced it. So I tried to turn a blade inside out and all I succeeded in doing is cutting my fingers.
Bill V
Sorry about that Bill!

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

BillVan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:48 pm " all I succeeded in doing is cutting my fingers. "
Bill V
That's why I wear leather gloves when I'm coiling up a blade.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob