SC Johnson Paste Wax

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by RFGuy »

HopefulSSer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:50 pm Note that I put "reputable" in italics. And I trust companies generally to want to avoid creating problems for themselves needlessly, especially when there's no cost to them to do so. In this specific case I doubt SS is getting a kickback from Big Wax to push Minwax over anything else. ;-)
I guess that is the real question, right? Does a company's "reputation" matter anymore? In today's overly connected world where social media influencers peddle products, does a company's reputation matter anymore? Does brand recognition and social media views trump a company's reputation? I mean these companies all had great reputations (before they were exposed of fraud, theft, corruption, etc.): Enron, Theranos, Facebook, WeWork, Lumber Liquidators, Volkswagen, Uber, etc., etc. Most of them are still in business and are actually thriving now!?!?!?!? Either reputation doesn't matter anymore to the modern consumer, or consumers have a very, very, very short memory!!! :D

AND NO, I am not comparing SS to any of the companies listed above, but just pointing out that critical thinking is more important than what spec, procedure or product is recommended by the mothership. Sometimes better solutions are found right here in this forum by its members...the experience & feedback of other members here means more to me than whether or not the mothership recommends brand X. Just saying.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BillVan
Silver Member

Post by BillVan »

When I heard that Johnson's paste wax was going off the market I scored a new can at my local Ace Hardware. Because I am 82 years old I definitely have a life time supply.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BillVan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:56 pm When I heard that Johnson's paste wax was going off the market I scored a new can at my local Ace Hardware. Because I am 82 years old I definitely have a life time supply.
Bill V
Approaching my 85th this Nov, I likely have more than 100 x what I will ever use. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm still using my can of Trewax I bought 30 years ago and at the rate I use it, it will outlast me too so I don't have to worry about finding another can of any brand.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL , I just opened a can to see if it was still good , its about 10 years old and still just under 1/2 can , bought a can last winter because I couldn't find the old one so I should have a life time supply , unless for some unseen reason my hobby addiction gets out of control .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Just scored 4 cans at $7.50 a can. I'm happy... And those cans can pass on with my Mark 7 when the kids inherit it.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

KCollins wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:50 pm Just scored 4 cans at $7.50 a can. I'm happy... And those cans can pass on with my Mark 7 when the kids inherit it.
They will last a long time but keep them out of extreme heat. They melt if left anywhere where they get real warm -- like in a tool box in the bed of a truck in Arizona.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

dusty wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:59 pm
KCollins wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:50 pm Just scored 4 cans at $7.50 a can. I'm happy... And those cans can pass on with my Mark 7 when the kids inherit it.
They will last a long time but keep them out of extreme heat. They melt if left anywhere where they get real warm -- like in a tool box in the bed of a truck in Arizona.
Dusty I think Cast Iron would melt in a tool box in the bed of a truck in Arizona!!!! :D

No I'll be keeping these safe and sound for years to come... I'm 54 for those should do me.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I did find an online retailer still selling JPW and paid a somewhat elevated price for it just to have a good supply of it. There was no packing and the can got dented in shipping and leaked some giving me a wax soaked box on arrival. The company was good about it and actually sent me another one to replace it. The replacement was perfect and matched the consistency that I am used to for JPW. I know consistency can vary quite a bit with paste wax, especially when hot or cold. However, what product was remaining in the first can that I received was soupy, similar to applesauce. I would have expected perhaps the opposite, i.e. it might have lost more solvent during the leaking and become harder. Even a week later, in cool temperatures, it continues to be runny and lumpy like applesauce. I know the product can be used as-is, but I am just curious about the change in consistency. I would assume paste wax is an emulsion of the petroleum solvent with the wax. Presumably, I could slowly stir/whisk this and eventually it should reform the emulsion, right? Then leaving it alone after this it should harden in the appropriate temperature, or at least that is what I am thinking. If anyone is intrigued by this and/or has experience with this in the past, would be curious on your feedback on the above. In any event, adding one new can and a partial new can to my partial old can should keep me happy for quite some time. Can't say that my stock of JPW will last the rest of my lifetime, but I am definitely not wanting for JPW now for maintaining my shop equipment for the foreseeable future.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am curious if the applesauce can contents have a grayish color while the 'normal' one is more yellowish. It might be informative which country it was created in.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange