Belt Sander Tracking issue

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

alberrt12345
Bronze Member

Belt Sander Tracking issue

Post by alberrt12345 »

I have tracking issues with my belt sander which have shown up after several years of trouble free use. I somehow over adjusted the tensioning knob and the tracking screw on the fixed side, so I decided to try to get back to the factory setting for these. I read somewhere that about 1/2 inch of the threads on these tracking screws should be showing on the end away from where the screws push on the idle roller assembly, with the tensioning knob taking up part of that !/2 inch on that side. So here is my issue: on the tensioning knob side the tracking screw has a flat spot on on the side at the end where it pushes on the idel roller assembly. Should that flat section go BESIDE the washer on the roller assembly and let the screw push on the roller assembly, or does the end of the screw push on the washer to create the tension?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
BillVan
Silver Member

Re: Belt Sander Tracking issue

Post by BillVan »

try to go to Nick Engler's website he has a video about the belt sander repair and assembly https://www.workshopcompanion.com/
Bill V
Last edited by beeg on Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added space in front of HTTPS.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

viewtopic.php?t=8179

Read post 2,3 and 5. I leave it others re the 1/2 vs 9/16 inch setting. I think something in between is more likely correct.

Note the flat on the adjustment screw lays against side of the washer.

Sorry about the pix location in this new version of the bb software.

Hope this helps!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
alberrt12345
Bronze Member

Post by alberrt12345 »

Thanks for the responses. I have broken down the whole sander and will review these posts as i put it back together. This is the information I needed, that the flat lays against the washer. I believe that it may work as taking it all apart has definately removed years of crud and the parts move smoother.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Link does not work.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange