What's this for?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: What's this for?

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG,

I know it was a long time ago but was your "Goldie" shipped directly to you in a crate or did you pick it up in a store fully assembled? If shipped directly to you in a crate, do you recall it those holes were used to attach it to the crate?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I wonder what the publication date was for the manual that the link below was taken from. IF it is before 1954, then I suspect the original intent is as I have indicated (with charlese help) which is they were intended for securing during crating to pack and ship. That was their primary intent.
Unfortunately the 3 scanned pages have no identifiers as to the date or which document that they come from, though presumably from an Owner's Manual.

https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... Manual.pdf
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I can't take credit for this idea, but the Double Tilt crowd doesn't have those Headrest holes so I use this for my SS Toolbox. Being frugal, this one is made from some leftover icemaker line but the one I stole the idea from was stainless tubing. It's a more convenient location IMO, and also holds my DC remote. There is a second mount style zip tie near the bottom, mostly hidden by the remote.

IMG_9213 (3).JPG
IMG_9213 (3).JPG (121.03 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

- David
thedovetailjoint
Gold Member

Post by thedovetailjoint »

David, what are you using the stacked faceplates with the tail stock chuck arbor for?

UPDATE: I just saw your runout post. Clever approach.
http://www.Youtube.com/user/MyGrowthRings
http://Shopsmith-Tool-Hunter.Blogspot.com
http://www.Tool-Hunter.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Head rest holes - store ss tool kit and drill chuck key.

I still think it was not the original design purpose.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

That's a great idea David thanks for sharing. I've been struggling with a place to put my hex wrench and that just might be the ticket.
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

vevayop845 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:02 am I would in any case contact SS and see what they say. SS attempts to make the best decision.
If I'm reading things right Vevayop845 you're new... did you just join today? Welcome.

I posted earlier in this thread that I did contact SS and this is what it said.
KCollins wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:39 am Well... to put the steel scale issue to rest SS got back to me and said that they will not send me another scale... I can buy them from SS and he wanted to sell them to me on the spot. I told him I'd have to think about it. Man.... I'm kind of sorry I asked. I dropped just over $6,000 last year on my purchase and they can't comp me a $30.00 Scale? Yes I probably threw it away in the packaging but a client willing to drop that much money is worth $30 bucks to keep them happy in my opinion. Now I have a bad taste in my mouth. I'm sure it will pass but still....
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Kevin,

You are wasting your time. That post from vevayop845 is another spammer/chatbot type. This is the 2nd post I have found today where they copied nearly verbatim what I said in a previous post, though their chatbot is using synonyms now to replace some terms from the original post of mine. Below is what I said previously:

viewtopic.php?p=302575#p302575
post.jpg
post.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Link to other plagiarized post:
viewtopic.php?p=302894#p302894
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Now that's just funny right there RF Guy...
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:59 pm Now that's just funny right there RF Guy...
Yeah, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt...you never know when a new person comes to the forum and you don't want to scare them off. However, I am leaning more towards the banning of spammers lately. Today I have read two different posts get parroted back to me, and maybe it is obvious to me because I wrote them initially. In the past they would copy most or all of an old post and then regurgitate it years later with a link added. This must be the "new" thing, i.e. taking a fairly recent post and changing out the major terms for synonyms. These spammer/chatbot entities are getting very clever. Very clever! :(

P.S. Either that, or the 1000 monkeys in a room with keyboards are catching up to me! ;)
📶RF Guy