Mark 5

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Davidhaal
Bronze Member

Mark 5

Post by Davidhaal »

I have my grandpa’s mark 5. I know for sure he had it before August 2nd 1954. He apparently sent a letter on August 2nd about the mark 5 gilmer timing belt. I have the letter he received from shop smith magna engineering corporation dated August 4th 1954 thanking him for the letter regarding the gilmer belt and that they are sending a “new improved” belt
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 5

Post by chapmanruss »

Davidhaal,

I chose to answer here instead of the other threads. Your Grandpa's Mark 5 was likely made in March 1954, the same month as the Mark 5 was introduced. Serial Number 262398 is earlier than the first known production date number of April 1954 starting at S/N 263051. As one of the early Mark 5's it had some of the issues that were later resolved. It has an "A" Headstock so no rear access hole under the Logo Plate for maintenance. The only thing holding the Idler Shaft Assembly in place in the Headstock casting was the clamping pressure of the bolt and nut. Later Magna added the Bearing Retainers to keep the Idler Shaft Bearing from moving in or out of the casting. The early Mark 5's had a non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly that tended to break Gilmer belts when a jam occurred. The clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly came out about the time of the second Owner's Guide dated July 1954 and is shown as assembly number 202100 in the parts list. The slippage allowed by the clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly helped save Gilmer belts when a jam occurred. The pictures below are first of the non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly followed by the clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly.

_
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Gilmer - no clutch.jpg
Drive Sleeve Assembly - Gilmer - no clutch.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve.jpg
Gilmer Clutch Type Drive Sleeve.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Notice the non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly has the set screw in the gear teeth. The clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly has the set screw in the collar next to the clutch plates.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Davidhaal
Bronze Member

Post by Davidhaal »

Question for you.. the rear cover shroud is the typical shop smith green as is with the rest of the unit the power head casing is a gray color. Any ideas on what to look for as far as what I got going on with it
Davidhaal
Bronze Member

Post by Davidhaal »

Mine does have a set screw in the teeth
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The original colors for the Mark 5 were green and silver in a hammered finish although over time the silver could look more like a light gray. Most parts were green while the Headstock casting, Motor Pan, Tailstock and the Lathe Tool Rest Arm were silver. A restored Greenie is shown below. It is a later one than your grandfather's with the "B" Headstock.

_
IMG_0220cr.jpg
IMG_0220cr.jpg (133.73 KiB) Viewed 505 times
The restored one above has a new grounded power cord. After 68 years your grandfather's Mark 5 could use a new power cord if it hasn't been previously replaced. Maintenance including lubrication would be needed items if it hasn't been used for some time or hasn't been done recently.

Since it has the non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly you may want to consider upgrading it to the Poly V Drive which uses a different belt and can actually slip on the pulleys in case of a jam. This could be a desired upgrade if you plan on using it much. It would require a Poly V Drive Sleeve Assembly, newer Quill and the correct parts for the Idler Shaft Assembly. Simply replacing the non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly with a clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly may not be a good solution. Since these were made only until the change to the Poly V Drive in 1961 their condition is questionable. Too little friction in the clutch and you will have slippage and too much friction in the clutch and it would be like having a non-clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly. The clutched Drive Sleeve Assembly is not easy to work on.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
Davidhaal
Bronze Member

Post by Davidhaal »

Thank you for the information