Denatured Alcohol or Mineral Spirts?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ssuel
Gold Member

Denatured Alcohol or Mineral Spirts?

Post by ssuel »

Doing machine maintenance and was looking back at ShopSmith’s manual and was reminded they recommend using denatured alcohol as cleaning agent before waxing recommended components. At some time I started using mineral spirts instead. Not sure why, but thought I would ask this forum to get some recommendations on which to use going forward. Thanks
ssuel
Gold Member

Re: Denatured Alcohol or Mineral Spirts?

Post by ssuel »

Whoops reading in another section ShopSmith says mineral spirits too? Maybe it doesn’t matter which?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mineral spirits to clean gunk.

Alcohol to remove mineral spirits.

????????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Thanks JPG
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

Mineral spirits are similar to turpentine and kerosene. That kind of stuff should work better on heavy buildups of sticky stuff whether it's grease or tree sap. They can dissolve a lot of plastics like acetone does and may be tough on paint also so they have to be used carefully. And as noted above, alcohol may be needed to clean residue. I haven't tried it but I think it would be pretty good at cleaning old wax buildup.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
ssuel
Gold Member

Post by ssuel »

Thanks
Stan
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

Alcohol is safer than mineral spirits, but it really depends on what you are trying to remove.
--
Robert Keeney
Tallahassee Florida
#odinstoyfactory