DC6000 vs. DC3300 vs. other options?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: DC6000 vs. DC3300 vs. other options?

Post by RFGuy »

br549 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:03 am Shop Vac came back ... not sure if all products are back or not.
Thanks! I wasn't aware they were resurrected. At least now I will be able to get replacement filters and filter bags, I hope. In the past, they were really good about replacing the motor in their products, even when the model had been out of warranty for a while. It was kind of an unwritten rule that they always stood behind their product no matter what and that made me a huge fan of the company. I doubt they are still going to do this going forward though after bankruptcy. In fact, it looks like prices have jumped significantly on their products with likely no internal changes, so I guess the new company is trying to cash in on the ShopVac™ name.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Erik
Gold Member

Post by Erik »

RFGuy,

Yes, my Sharkguard has a 4" connection and so I directly connect it to a 4" line coming off the DC. That is what allows me to get a lot of CFM above the table. I'm guessing that a Sharkguard with a 2 1/2" connector and a couple hundred CFM above the table would still be a great upgrade. Thinking out loud here ... if your current system could deliver 325 CFM above the table you could buy a Sharkguard with a 4" connection, squeeze it down with a 2 1/2" reducer and still stay above 3,800 FPM in the 4" connection (need 3,800 FPM velocity to move dust in a vertical pipe). Alternatively, maybe you could put a 2 1/2" adapter inside the 4" intake of the Sharkguard ... maybe foam it in place??? ... in which case you would only need about 130 CFM to get the velocity you need. If either of those solutions were possible you could get started with a 4" Sharkguard and eventually move to a 4" connection if your bigger cyclone became available. Just trying to think of a way to preserve the full 4" capacity of the Sharkguard in case you could take advantage of it later.

-Erik

1990 Mark V 520 (purchased as a 510 in 1992, upgraded to 520 in 2007)
4" Jointer, 11" Bandsaw, 6" Beltsander
Clear Vue CVMAX Cyclone, Nordfab Ductwork, Dust Right Ports, Dylos DC1100 Pro Monitor

Other items: Incra V120 Miter Gauge, Sharkguard, Jessem Cear-Cut TS Guides, Cross-Cut Sled (Nick Ferry), SS Drum Sander (Keith's Shop), Bandsaw Circle Cutter (Inspire Woodcraft), Bandsaw Template Guide, Wedgie Sled (Jerry Bennett), Moxon Vise (Katz-Moses).
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Erik wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:52 am RFGuy,

Yes, my Sharkguard has a 4" connection and so I directly connect it to a 4" line coming off the DC. That is what allows me to get a lot of CFM above the table. I'm guessing that a Sharkguard with a 2 1/2" connector and a couple hundred CFM above the table would still be a great upgrade. Thinking out loud here ... if your current system could deliver 325 CFM above the table you could buy a Sharkguard with a 4" connection, squeeze it down with a 2 1/2" reducer and still stay above 3,800 FPM in the 4" connection (need 3,800 FPM velocity to move dust in a vertical pipe). Alternatively, maybe you could put a 2 1/2" adapter inside the 4" intake of the Sharkguard ... maybe foam it in place??? ... in which case you would only need about 130 CFM to get the velocity you need. If either of those solutions were possible you could get started with a 4" Sharkguard and eventually move to a 4" connection if your bigger cyclone became available. Just trying to think of a way to preserve the full 4" capacity of the Sharkguard in case you could take advantage of it later.

-Erik
Erik,

Thanks. Yeah, that is the thing...Going just on the requirement of 4000 fpm to maintain upward movement in a vertical pipe, i.e. no dust settling out and falling down, requires ONLY 112 CFM for 2.5" hose (2.25" ID). Going up to 3" requires 196 CFM and a 4" hose requires 348 CFM and these are all minimums. IF, I just used my DC-3300 for the Sharkguard then it should be adequate with a 2.5" hose since I can only get 142.7 CFM from 1 port on it, but that should be sufficient for vertical capture above the table. Going with anything bigger than 2.5" hose would be a no-go for using the Sharkguard with my DC-3300. I don't know when I am planning on going back East to try to packup the Clear Vue cyclone and ship it here, so I have been dragging my feet on purchasing the Sharkguard. Going with the 4" version and choking it down for use with my DC-3300 might be the best option, unless I remove the 3 port manifold and bring 4" all the way from the DC-3300 to the Sharkguard. Anyway, thanks for your feedback because you have definitely given me something to think about here. Of course, the higher the airflow, the greater the dust capture so when I can get the Clear Vue cyclone here it will only get better with it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor