Rocking Chairs

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Rocking Chairs

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Back in 2016, I made my folks a set of rocking chairs for their patio. I made a prototype from scrap construction lumber and took it to them to make sure the seat height would work for them.
Prototype
Prototype
rockerprototype2.jpg (406.43 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
I did not want to make something that they could not get into or out of easily as my dad (RIP) had a bad knee. I left it with them to use to ensure the dimensions worked for them. I then made two more chairs out of cedar for outdoor use.
cedar rockers
cedar rockers
20160917_175557.jpg (457.58 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
When these were presented, I was told they were too good to go outside so instead they found spots inside for them and the prototype, now painted, was used outdoors. I think the prototype got more use. This summer the prototype finally succumbed to rot. I was instructed to fix it but the more I looked at it the more rot I found.
Prototype pieces
Prototype pieces
20221019_125011.jpg (400.79 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
So instead I decided to use it as a pattern to make an other rocker. I am using pressure treated construction lumber this time in the same dimensions as the prototype.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
john
Platinum Member

Re: Rocking Chairs

Post by john »

Nice looking chairs!

Too bad cedar is so expesive these days, at least around here it is. But my experience is they all turn grey or require painting at some point so treated wood is a good option.

John
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Great they all got good use !

I dislike working the pressure treated stuff in the shop...the sawdust smell is weird and the fact that they tell you not to use it near a vegetable garden makes me think whatever they put in it, shouldnt be in you ..ingested, inhaled, impaled or otherwise.

b
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I finally got the rockers done. I made 2 of them to replace the one rotting one. I used mortise and tenon joints with screws. I figure the screws to hold it together while the glue dries and in case the glue fails in the future while outside. I made a couple of dowels to attach the arms to the front legs and used pocket holes for the back of the arms. I put a block under the arms that is glued and screwed to each upright to help support the arms. I am hoping these will last longer than the original prototype did.
parts to be assembled
parts to be assembled
20221031_132537.jpg (221.43 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
I drilled through the mortises for the screws.
parts to be assembled
parts to be assembled
20221031_132559.jpg (280.81 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Both assembled before being taken to my mother's. My husband decided to join the dogs while I was taking the picture.
finished
finished
20221031_150426.jpg (388.56 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

The cedar chairs were finished with a clear Australian Timber Oil followed by paste wax. The new pressure treated chairs will be painted with an exterior paint.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
ifdm
Bronze Member

Post by ifdm »

I want to buy a Rocking chair, can anyone tell me where these Rocking chairs can be found? Every person in the world today needs money.
Thank you.
How To Make Money Online https://www.grabonlinemoney.com/ Fast and Easy Ways.