Mark 4 way and bench tube length

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

clv
Bronze Member

Mark 4 way and bench tube length

Post by clv »

I want convert my 510 to a mark 4, my new shop has a low ceiling so I can't put it in drill press mode. So I thought that converting it to a Mark 4 would solve the problem. Anyone know the Mark 4 tubes lengths? :confused:
DLB
Platinum Member

Re: Mark 4 way and bench tube length

Post by DLB »

Personally I prefer a shorty (Mark 4) but that is as a second machine. If I was trying to address a low ceiling problem I would shorten by only the amount needed for clearance in order to maintain as much of the original capability as practical. Bench tubes are a bit (~ 3/4") longer than way tubes on a standard machine. If you are cutting your tubes you want to maintain that difference by cutting the same amount off of all tubes. IMO that 3/4" difference is not ideal for a Double Tilt (DT) machine, which includes the Mark 4's, but I don't know if SS has changed it. My understanding is that the Mark 4 is 16" shorter than 'standard.' That's about the same as mine, and is about the shortest practical length for a full featured machine.

- David
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

The way tubes for a full size machine with double tilt end up a little short by about 3/8". This means in drill press mode the way tubes are not sitting all the way into one end casting or the other. That means the weight on the way tubes is held up only by the set screws and conceivably could the tubes can slip down in the casting although I think it's unlikely because the weight is distributed across all 4 set screws. I am wondering if there's a reason to keep the way tubes short like that other than avoiding production of new way tubes to a different length. If there's no reason for them to be short I would prefer having them full length in a shorty.

As David pointed out you can't cut off more that 16" without getting too tight for practical usage.. You need room for the carriage and the headstock, and a minimum amount of space for the table even if it hangs over end, and to be able to move the headstock and table in order to mount tools and couplers.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

So that implies 3/8" longer bench tubes rather than 3/4".(with double tilt)

Or use 3/16" spacers on each end of both of the way tubes
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I went with the shorter bench tubes on my shorty when I added DT. I had to cut new tubes anyway because it started life as my Grandfather-in-law's Greenie so the bench tubes would no longer fit. (Not much of that DMA left after numerous upgrades.)

I have not addressed this on my 520 upgraded to M7. I'm leaning toward the spacers. I've never had an issue with the setscrews holding, but it bugs me knowing those bench tubes aren't seated at either end.

- David
clv
Bronze Member

Post by clv »

I looked on the SS web site and could not find a listing to buy the mark 4 tubes. So I figured I would need to cut mine tubes. I think cutting them 15” shorter will be a safe start. And give me enough room to set it up in drill press mode.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

clv wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:33 pm I looked on the SS web site and could not find a listing to buy the mark 4 tubes. So I figured I would need to cut mine tubes. I think cutting them 15” shorter will be a safe start. And give me enough room to set it up in drill press mode.
I thought I saw recently that Shopsmith was selling different length waytubes/bench tubes. Perhaps it was in one of the weekly sales flyers, but I can't remember. IF interested in buying them precut, you might have to call them to confirm. The website doesn't always have detailed descriptions or even pictures for certain items like this.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

JPG wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:28 am So that implies 3/8" longer bench tubes rather than 3/4".(with double tilt)

Or use 3/16" spacers on each end of both of the way tubes
I wasn't concerned with this at all until I made my own double tilt shorty out of a pair of right side hinged castings. I made this specifically for refurbing headstocks so I'll be removing one end of the base or the other frequently to mount and dismount headstocks. When remounting the hinged based piece I'd like it have it go to a fixed position. At the moment I don't lock the casting to the tubes until it's back in the horizontal position. I started by cutting a way tube and a bench tube in half, knowing that would leave the way tubes too short. I can cut the bench tubes down further to get the length just right but I think a spacer is a better approach. Just some marks on the way tubes works pretty well already. I'll create a thread for this interesting project soon,
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER