Bandsaw blades - SuperCut?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

Bandsaw blades - SuperCut?

Post by edma194 »

Anyone have recommendations? I have several Shopsmith Premium blades for 1/2" and 3/8" along with a large number of blades of unknown origin in various widths. I'm starting to do some detail work and need 1/8" and maybe 1/16" if I can find one that small. I had a 1/16" from Shopsmith years ago, probably got about 2 1/2 hours of cutting out of it before it broke. I think for 1/16" that may be pretty good life. The 1/8" blades I have now are a couple of old SuperCut blades. Very old, one of them is no good because the plastic ties holding the coil in the package were so tight the blade got bent in 6 spots (three coils, 2 ties) and it jumps around while running. The other one works great, just cut out some pieces of maple, checking to see how small a radius I could cut and this blade worked great. Mostly cutting between the grain though, not cross grain, so always easier to cut that way.

Any recommendations for other blade manufacturers? I don't know where I got those old SuperCut blades but they are still in business and the price is very good, a 1/8" 14 or 18 TPI raker cost $18.97 directly from them. I have not had problems with Shopsmith blades but these cut exceedingly well at 1/8", I don't recall Shopsmith or other blades doing quite so well.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Bandsaw blades - SuperCut?

Post by RFGuy »

Ed,

Timber Wolf is a well known and well respected bandsaw blade company. They sell 1/8" bandsaw blades in pretty much any size you want. You just have to pick the length appropriate for the Shopsmith and they will ship it to you.

All blades:
https://timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

1/8" only blade:
https://timberwolfblades.com/proddetail.php?prod=1814HP
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Timber Wolf is my choice. That is all I use here on both my SS band saw and the 14" Powermatic. Buy direct from Timber Wolf, they are cheaper that way. At least they used to be. I haven't bought any in a while.

BTW, the company name is Suffolk Machinery. https://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

I'm ordering an 1/8" blade from Timber Wolf for comparison. I see they specify depth of cut range as 1/8" to 2" for hardwood. I never noticed depth of cut range before, I assume heat build-up would be the major factor. I'll be cutting up to the full depth of the saw nearly 6" on occasion, and many cuts with exceed 2", so I expect that will lead to blade dulling and a shorter weld life.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

I went to the Timber Wolf website and they want me to "Select Your Band Mill or Resaw Manufacturer" and I don't see Shopsmith on the list.

I would certainly like a second source for decent 72" SS bandsaw blades so please anyone advise how they have ordered from this site.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

SteveMaryland wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am I went to the Timber Wolf website and they want me to "Select Your Band Mill or Resaw Manufacturer" and I don't see Shopsmith on the list.

I would certainly like a second source for decent 72" SS bandsaw blades so please anyone advise how they have ordered from this site.
Steve,

When I go to the Timber Wolf website and select a blade, e.g. 1/4" blade, and I click the "Please Select" in the bottom right corner, I get a list of blade lengths in 0.5" increments. You simply select the length that corresponds to the Shopsmith size. Perhaps you found another part of their website where they have common brands there. You don't need it though because you can simply select the blade length you want.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Thanks RF.

I guess site pages show up different ways on different computers. Anyway, their blade width/type selection page is found at
https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade- ... r.php#list
and then the blade length is selected on another page.
Mark V, Model 555510, Serial No. 102689, purchased November 1989. Upgraded to 520
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

SteveMaryland wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:39 am Thanks RF.

I guess site pages show up different ways on different computers. Anyway, their blade width/type selection page is found at
https://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade- ... r.php#list
and then the blade length is selected on another page.
Steve,

You don't see this when you try to select the blade length?
TimberWolf.jpg
TimberWolf.jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
📶RF Guy

SteveMaryland
Gold Member

Post by SteveMaryland »

Yes. What i previously did not see on the site landing page was any way to get to the blade selection page.
Albertt62
Gold Member

Post by Albertt62 »

I think you guys are overthinking this. I just ordered 70" blades, they ask in the order process what the bandsaw is, I TYPED shopsmith (It wasn't in the dropdown). :confused:

I received an email asking if I really wanted the 70" blade, as I should need a 72" blade. They know what they are doing, even when I don't. ;)

FYI.....

I'd be interested to see if anyone makes a 1/16" blade for our bandsaws...