Rate of Air Flow vs Volume of Air Flow

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: Rate of Air Flow vs Volume of Air Flow

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:48 am Before I get started on the kludge I'll give taping a try.. I have some two sided carpet tape that just might work. I think I may have some flexseal to try.
Dusty,

Yeah, I just think it is worth a try. We know that your anemometer limits at 5905 fpm and can't measure higher than this. Once you tape it up and test 1 port only and get that max reading again then I would think that is a good start and to me confirms repeatability of your prior measurement. Then you can re-measure the 2 port and 3 port open cases and see how much higher the reading is this time. It would at least give you another datapoint before embarking on an attempt to create test fixture 2.0 for this test should you decide to do this.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Further testing has been disrupted, maybe permanently..

While testing today I got too close to the intake and it pulled my loose shirt into the fan. Two blades were broken. The anemometer still works, sorta, but it makes a screaming noise and I doubt that the readings would be accurate.

Maybe later.

I have done enough testing to believe that my dust collector does not provide 200cfm in any hose configuration.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:16 pm Further testing has been disrupted, maybe permanently..

While testing today I got too close to the intake and it pulled my loose shirt into the fan. Two blades were broken. The anemometer still works, sorta, but it makes a screaming noise and I doubt that the readings would be accurate.

Maybe later.

I have done enough testing to believe that my dust collector does not provide 200cfm in any hose configuration.
Dusty,

Sorry this happened. Thanks again for all of your efforts to characterize the DC-3300 upgrade. I do believe you achieved good quality measurements here. Based on the data at hand, I would agree with your assessment. I know when I first measured my DC-3300 with an anemometer and compared it to measurements of my Shop Vac™, I was shocked to find them more/less equivalent. I definitely expected more airflow out of my DC-3300. I was hoping that the DC-3300 upgrade kit or DC-6000 would have A LOT more airflow, but from a technical standpoint I just don't see how that is possible. The original DC-3300 motor draws the same amperage as the new upgrade kit according to Shopsmith specs so presumably it spins no faster and has similar torque characteristics. Also, the original DC-3300 has a 4 blade fan, or at least mine does, while the upgrade kit claims a 6 blade fan. I do believe the DC-3300 upgrade/DC-6000 are likely improvements over the original DC-3300...just not a BIG improvement unfortunately. I believe all of the improvement in the new upgrade kit/DC-6000 is related to that new 6 blade fan impeller design.
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have been addicted with this task. I really hate starting something and not finishing.

I just completed an online order for a new anemometer. It should be here Friday. Another $30 toy for my shop.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Got the new meter. Some "quick checks" reveal NO change.

I will still perform a series of tests in the near future.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty