Shopsmith model 10E

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith model 10E

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:08 pm :D If you'd known what was happening, it would not have happened. :D
:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Hogwinslow sells bearings.

https://sites.google.com/site/hogwinslo ... rking/home

Skip Campbell doesn't list bearings but does have other parts, and lots of good information.

http://www.mkctools.com/10erparts.htm
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
CharlieDill522
Bronze Member

Post by CharlieDill522 »

My Shopsmith is similar to this (2 belts), but name plate says it is a Model ER. Is that the same thing as Model 10E and/or Model 10ER? I’m new to the forum, too.
This post was helpful; not much anywhere else about the 2 belt setup.
Got some more questions about my old machine, but got to figure out the forum better.
Thanks,
Charlie D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Two belts likely means it has a speed changer(extra option).

Nameplate "ER" can be misleading.

A pix would help us.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

CharlieDill522,

Welcome to the Shopsmith Forum.

As JPG said with two belts and having an additional pulley setup is a Speed Changer. The picture below shows a Speed Changer in place mounted on the Way Tubes.

_
Speed Changer in place.jpg
Speed Changer in place.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 517 times
This is a Model 10ER it is mounted on but note the Name Plate says Model ER. The actual reason for only ER is unknown but I believe rather than redesigning the plate when changing from the Model 10E to the 10ER, because of space, they used just ER. I have never seen an Owner's Guide with just Model ER but matching up the ER units to Owner's Guides they are 10ER manuals. Later the Name Plate was redesigned and says 10ER.

Below is a PDF of a manual for the Speed Changer which you may find helpful.

_ .
In the manual notice the Screw Assembly (crank) is positioned away from the Headstock instead of how it is mounted in the picture above. Early Speed Changers came assembled like the one in my picture, but the crank handle can interfere with the Headstock's Way Tube Lock. Moving the Screw Assembly away from the Headstock corrects this and does not interfere with the belt when in low-speed range.

Lastly, I would recommend starting a thread of your own. That way information about your Shopsmith will be in one place.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
CharlieDill522
Bronze Member

Post by CharlieDill522 »

chapmanruss,
Thanks for the information and the pdf file. Both will be a great help.
Charlie