Jointer dust chute upgrade issues

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mganthon
Silver Member

Jointer dust chute upgrade issues

Post by mganthon »

I wanted to post to see if could get some guidance. I've been restoring/upgrading an older jointer and everything was coming along nicely until I went to mount the jointer on my Mark V. The little legs on the dust chute are preventing the way tube lock from disengaging. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to effectively tighten the SPT clamp roller with everything in the way - I could do it if I could get the way tubes lifted - LOL, so I have a chicken and egg problem. :confused:

Before I take a saw to the little ears, I wanted to see if anyone had any idea if I was doing something wrong (highly likely)
For reference this is a 1980 Mark V model 500 that's been upgraded to a 520 table system.
Thanks,
Gray
IMG_1098.jpg
IMG_1098.jpg (270.82 KiB) Viewed 681 times
IMG_1099.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg (163.53 KiB) Viewed 681 times
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg (220.17 KiB) Viewed 681 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Jointer dust chute upgrade issues

Post by JPG »

Get the jointer shaft vertically aligned with the headstock shaft and I believe all that will disappear.

i.e. the jointer needs to be raised off the end casting. The mounting posts are inserted inrto the jounter casting too far.

P.S. the "clamp roller" likely needs adjustment so both ends clamp to the mounting posts.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mganthon
Silver Member

Post by mganthon »

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see. At this point everything was loosey goosey in these photos on both the roller and mounting posts, but I will double check the roller adjustment. I like to do that periodically to make sure it stays even :-)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

In the pictures I see the Cam Lock Handle on the Headrest is not down all the way. If it is too tight to go completely down when engaging the Way Tube Tie Bar, then it may need adjusting. When everything is adjusted properly the Jointer with the Dust chute installed should sit on the Headrest and lock down correctly with the Accessory Mount Lock Handle Assembly. As JPG indicated check that the right and left handed studs are even in the Accessory Mount Lock Handle Sleeve. If either is extended too far (uneven) it may not allow the other to engage and lock on that side.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
mganthon
Silver Member

Post by mganthon »

chapmanruss wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:18 pm In the pictures I see the Cam Lock Handle on the Headrest is not down all the way. If it is too tight to go completely down when engaging the Way Tube Tie Bar, then it may need adjusting. When everything is adjusted properly the Jointer with the Dust chute installed should sit on the Headrest and lock down correctly with the Accessory Mount Lock Handle Assembly. As JPG indicated check that the right and left handed studs are even in the Accessory Mount Lock Handle Sleeve. If either is extended too far (uneven) it may not allow the other to engage and lock on that side.
Thanks! I had the Cam Lock Handle up to show the interference with it and the tabs on the dust chute. It locks down with no problem, but I can't lift it far enough to get it to disengage the Tie Bar after the jointer is aligned with the drive spindle. If I adjust the tie bar lock so that it will disengage in that position, it won't positively lock the tie bar. I did a test and I have to lift the jointer about 3/4" above the axis of the spindle in order to have the Cam Lock lift enough to disengage the Tie Bar.

In looking at photos on the Shopsmith site, it appears that those tabs are not in the line of of the Cam Lock at all, so it's got me puzzled. Maybe they changed the molds or maybe it is just a difference in positioning with the older style jointer vs a newer one.

I think the simplest solution for me will be to cut about 1/2" off the back side of the tabs to allow the Cam Lock lever to clear, and then I should be in good shape, but I'm definitely reluctant to do so.
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

I just looked at mine to see where it clears, turns out the outer tab is broken off. But if the tab were present I think it would interfere with the release lever, same as yours does.

- David
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I just went out and tested mine and it clears no problem. I have both plastic tabs/feet on the jointer dust chute. I can lift the cam lock handle until it touches those dust chute feet and when I do so, I can lift the headstock/waytubes into a vertical position. Of course, my jointer sits about a half inch higher in the SPT mount than mganthon showed in his picture because of required alignment needed between the drive hub and SPT hub of the jointer. Are you sure about your vertical alignment as JPG pointed out?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

mganthon,

Having the Jointer in place on the Mark V will have it in the way of raising the Lock Handle. I have to remove the Jointer to raise my Mark V 520 into Drill Press Mode because the Shaft Guard protecting the Hub is in the way. Looking at the pictures in the online catalog they show the Jointer with the Dust Chute as mine looks. The top picture is at an angle, so it does appear not to be aligned but the lower picture with the collection hose shows it aligned to the tabs.

_
jointer mv mounted.jpg
jointer mv mounted.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Jointer Dust Collect Port.jpg
Jointer Dust Collect Port.jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 559 times
As for the casting having changed you are correct but not the reason the Lock Handle cannot be raised enough. The Base/Outfeed Casting has changed and there have been three versions. The first was for the original Model 4E Jointer made to mount only on the Shopsmith Model 10E and 10ER which was made in 1953. It did not have the holes for the Mounting Posts. The second added the holes for the Mounting Posts and came out with the introduction of the Mark 5 in 1954. The third and current casting added the Infeed Stop found by the Logo/Serial Number plate and changed in early 1984. The Dust Chute and Safety Covers (Shaft Guard & Rear Cutter Guard) were added at that time too. The Dust Chute and Safety Covers come together in an upgrade kit to add to older Jointer's except the dust chute cannot be mounted on the original Model 4E Jointer. Blocking the lock handle may have been an intentional design element to keep from damaging the Shaft Guard.

All this is moot for anyone having a new Mark V 520s, Mark 7 or Mark 4 and those that have upgraded older Mark 5/V's to Double Tilt since all SPT's have to be removed when raising the tool to vertical modes.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

chapmanruss wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:20 pm mganthon,

Having the Jointer in place on the Mark V will have it in the way of raising the Lock Handle. I have to remove the Jointer to raise my Mark V 520 into Drill Press Mode because the Shaft Guard protecting the Hub is in the way. Looking at the pictures in the online catalog they show the Jointer with the Dust Chute as mine looks. The top picture is at an angle, so it does appear not to be aligned but the lower picture with the collection hose shows it aligned to the tabs.
Russ,

I don't have to remove my jointer to lift into drill press mode. I do, however, have to slightly flex the bottom corners of the shaft guard on the jointer to get the way tie bar to clear it. I know there are different variations of all of the SS equipment, but I still question whether mganthon has got the correct vertical alignment yet. Those plastic feet on the bottom of the jointer dust chute should not prevent the cam lock handle from being raised just enough to allow for lifting to drill press mode, though it won't let you lift the cam lock handle all the way up, as in without the jointer mounted. I really don't think cutting the plastic feet off of the jointer dust chute is the answer.

Does the DT interfere with leaving the jointer on and lifting into drillpress mode? In one of his jointer videos, Scott indicated that he never removes his jointer and leaves it on his Mark V (same as me), but he did make a comment, I believe, that this wasn't possible for the Mark 7. Just wondering if a DT base cases some interference issues.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:28 pm
chapmanruss wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:20 pm mganthon,

Russ,

I don't have to remove my jointer to lift into drill press mode. I do, however, have to slightly flex the bottom corners of the shaft guard on the jointer to get the way tie bar to clear it. I know there are different variations of all of the SS equipment, but I still question whether mganthon has got the correct vertical alignment yet. Those plastic feet on the bottom of the jointer dust chute should not prevent the cam lock handle from being raised just enough to allow for lifting to drill press mode, though it won't let you lift the cam lock handle all the way up, as in without the jointer mounted. I really don't think cutting the plastic feet off of the jointer dust chute is the answer.

Does the DT interfere with leaving the jointer on and lifting into drillpress mode? In one of his jointer videos, Scott indicated that he never removes his jointer and leaves it on his Mark V (same as me), but he did make a comment, I believe, that this wasn't possible for the Mark 7. Just wondering if a DT base cases some interference issues.
The entire end casting with the SPT mount holes stays with the way tubes when the machine is tilted up to vertical. I suppose you wouldn't have to remove the jointer or any other SPT but it would end up up in the air in vertical mode. Probably not a good thing. :rolleyes:

The picture shows the casting that is attached to the way tubes with the STP mounting holes in it.
Attachments
double_tilt_components2_l.jpg
double_tilt_components2_l.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 495 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT