Magna Jigsaw Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gloomis
Gold Member

Re: Magna Jigsaw Question

Post by gloomis »

Interesting. I wonder when this one was made.

That being discovered, what do you think that oil seal is? Could I make one with gasket material or do I need to purchase something similar to a rubber washer? I try to avoid purchasing smaller parts like that from shopsmith if I can help it because shipping costs more than the part.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
"Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gloomis wrote:Interesting. I wonder when this one was made.

That being discovered, what do you think that oil seal is? Could I make one with gasket material or do I need to purchase something similar to a rubber washer? I try to avoid purchasing smaller parts like that from shopsmith if I can help it because shipping costs more than the part.

I cannot help. I have never seen one of your vintage. Anything I would say would be a wild guess.

So wild guess #1 - use a rubber sealed bearing (Both sides) and insure the missing 'seal' is compensated for(LATERAL PLAY BETWEEN BEARING AND RETAINING CLIP).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

If you measure the shaft size (ID) and the diameter of the hole it fits into (OD) and the width, space available between the bearing and end of the cavity, An industrial supply store of possibly an auto parts store should be able to find you one from the dimensions.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
gloomis
Gold Member

Post by gloomis »

Got it! Thanks for everyone's help.

"Like a bull chasing the matador is the man left to his own schemes
Everybody needs someone beside em' shining like a lighthouse from the sea" - Brother, NEEDTOBREATHE
Don1519
Bronze Member

Post by Don1519 »

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gene ... 5-s30.html
This post references part 74 and a replacement for it.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Same basic Jig Saw but the exploded parts diagrams are from manuals of two different era's. The only change to the Jig Saw from its introduction in September 1954, besides the color it was painted, is the change to eccentric mounting posts and the Trunnion Bolt Assembly. The Trunnion Bolt Assembly was later changed to a washer and 3/8" cap screw. I do not recall when that was changed and it could have even been a replacement option after it was discontinued. I would have to find the printed copy of those instruction for a date. It does lock the table angle on the trunnion easier. Sorry, back on topic. JPG's manual is from before the part numbers changed in 1964. They are the same parts just different part numbers and sometimes the description varied slightly. Any of the manuals from before 1964 have to be compared to a manual after that for the current 6 digit part number.

As with many of the parts for the Jig Saw since it was discontinued, Shopsmith no longer has that part available.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jjrausch
Silver Member

Post by jjrausch »

I have a Magna Jigsaw Mod 610 Serial# 82237 Mfg about June 1958 and my parts diagram looks just like the one above posted by gloomis. I too am looking for a shaft seal (#74 P/N502264).
JJ Rausch
Bradenton, FL
2017 Mark 7
1958 Magna Jigsaw
SS 11" Bandsaw
jjrausch
Silver Member

Post by jjrausch »

billmayo wrote: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:15 pm Good news, the Timken oil seals fit perfectly. The 2 oil seals were installed and no leaks. I wish I could say the same for my attempts at making housing gaskets. I will keep trying different gasket materials until I find one that does not leak. I will post my gasket making results when successful.
billmayo wrote:I have ordered both the #50 and #74 oil seals from:
URL: http://www.baumhydraulics.com
SKU Product Item price
00842194 314267N $4.79 NAT SEAL .625 X 1.000 X .125 TYPE 1 #50

00842356 340847 $2.94 NAT SEAL .500 X .750 X .125 TYPE 1 #74

You may want to wait until I receive them and make sure they fit. I will post the results.
Interestingly enough, I found this post from 2008 that has a source. It looks like the source is still good, but probably needs to order the item in quantity. I will try calling them to find out the pricing.
JJ Rausch
Bradenton, FL
2017 Mark 7
1958 Magna Jigsaw
SS 11" Bandsaw
jjrausch
Silver Member

Post by jjrausch »

So the oil seal by National Product posted above is no longer available from Baum Hydraulics, but there is another seal with the same dimensions by SKF Item# 4912 (http://www.skfextranet.com/catalogs/457 ... asp?s=4912) and it's carried by Grainger under Item# 40J912. I ordered qty=2. The next question is has anyone replaced this seal??? What is the procedure???
JJ Rausch
Bradenton, FL
2017 Mark 7
1958 Magna Jigsaw
SS 11" Bandsaw
woodshopnerdery
Silver Member

Post by woodshopnerdery »

This post was a life saver to me this week. My jigsaw developed a huge leak and I needed to replace this seal to keep some Christmas crafts going. As jjrausch suggested I ordered the SKF 4912 seal form Grainger. Installed it and works beautifully, no more leaks so far. I make a video about the process here.

https://youtu.be/PKZ6FyCIzLg