Black Plastic Bandsaw Knobs

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Black Plastic Bandsaw Knobs

Post by beeg »

jsburger wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:17 pm I think it has to do with sales outside the US. I remember asking Mike Young about a similar issue years ago. I can't remember the exact issue but it involved a safety issue and something SS changed for no apparent reason.
That may have been the cover for the hubs on the left end of the headstock.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Like John, I had a similar discussion with Mike Young about the change from the knobs to the screws a few years ago. He said it was changed because of a safety requirement for sales outside the US and the requirement of using a tool to remove the Bandsaw Cover. I agree they are more of a pain to use as opposed to the Knobs previously used to hold the Cover on. The Washers are plastic like the Cover and on the 2006 Bandsaw I have I had to replace them because they were cracked when I bought that Bandsaw in 2020. I believe that Bandsaw had a lot of unprotected exposure to the sun based on the amount the Cover is faded.

Back to the Knobs, the plastic and older metal knobs have 5/16" -18 threads and the plastic one is 1-1/4" diameter. You may be able to find some locally at any hardware store stocking larger varieties of nuts, bolts, screws and etc. As for the Cover Studs (posts) I have seen them for sale on the used market from time to time. A search I just did for the Cover Stud here on the Shopsmith site found 0 results.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Didn't think SS was selling anything outside of USA, or at least not anymore. More than one SS owner outside the US has commented in the past few years on the forum about NOT being able to purchase parts/accessories directly from the mothership. Even the UK distributor doesn't sell direct from SS anymore as I understand it. Just curious what countries they are still selling in...
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

rogersk wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:39 pm
Wrong knobs Hobbyman2. The OP is looking for the cover knobs, which thread onto a bolt. They aren't used on the new band saws anymore, at least according to the exploded view.
--------------------

Thanks what about threading a piece of all thread into the hole with some thread locker on it and using a threaded knob ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:17 pm I think it has to do with sales outside the US. I remember asking Mike Young about a similar issue years ago. I can't remember the exact issue but it involved a safety issue and something SS changed for no apparent reason. The BS cover is really a safety shield. The issue was rules somewhere outside the US require that safety covers can not be too easily removed (i.e. you need a tool to remove the item). I suspect the BS cover was changed for that reason.
That is my understanding. Ditto the shaft safety cover.

Actually the knobs changed one other time.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Remember at one time SS sold that absolutely ridiculous European drill press guard that went around the chuck and bit. That thing was just stupid. We had them for a while in the early 2000's in DOD when I worked for the Air Force as a civilian. They just disappeared after a while. I guess OSHA never mandated them.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

JPG, you said
Are you referring to the earlier metal knobs?
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:50 pm JPG, you said
Are you referring to the earlier metal knobs?
YES
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange