Run Bandsaw and Joiner Together

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cinredman
Bronze Member

Re: Run Bandsaw and Joiner Together

Post by cinredman »

Why not do this...because, this kind of bad can happen, which happened to myself...today!
IMG_0323.jpeg
IMG_0323.jpeg (647.11 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
I was sanding and the material jammed the belt sander. As the bandsaw was running at speed with no load, the inertia of the bandsaw caused the coupler to explode.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Welcome!

Maybe edit title since it is the belt sander, rather than the jointer, that was running at the same time as the band saw in the photo.

Supposedly the couplers are designed to fail before other more expensive stuff does. Were there any coupler shards thrown about?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

we went with a power station and found it was a very good option, it does take a little room but the benefits are worth it .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

cinredman,

Great setup having the Belt Sander on the right side of the Headstock since the Belt Sander can be powered from either side of the unit. I would suggest, in the future, you retract the Quill and only power one of the SPT's at a time by sliding the Headstock back and forth. The Belt Sander can be a little temperamental in maintaining tracking. Using the Bandsaw and focusing your attention there while the Belt Sander is also running could have the belt go off track and cause damage to the Belt Sander side frames.

As for the Coupler, like algale said,
Supposedly the couplers are designed to fail before other more expensive stuff does.
That is true but in this case the Coupler for the Belt Sander should have failed because the jam was there and would protect the Headstock. Slippage of the belts in the Headstock stopped the rotation of the Quill and Drive Sleeve and the Coupler for the Bandsaw broke as you described.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I know there are conditions were the setup can leave 2 tools connected to the power head unit but I think its not a good idea in general from a safety point of view.

The closest I came to doing this was accidently starting the bandsaw at table saw speeds (3450 vs 900) and destroyed a blade, the rubber on the bandsaw tires , and some of the plastic shell.

I'd love to get a powerstand but space constraints and availability keep me from that.

b
DLB
Platinum Member

Post by DLB »

bainin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 am ...
The closest I came to doing this was accidently starting the bandsaw at table saw speeds (3450 vs 900) and destroyed a blade, the rubber on the bandsaw tires , and some of the plastic shell.
What? The "CONFIRM?" feature on the PowerPro didn't prevent this??? :D :D

- David