Slop in the Rails Adversly Effects Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Slop in the Rails Adversly Effects Alignment

Post by JPG »

OK Dusty. When stacking tables horizontally(main-float...-aux) the varying vertical displacement of the connecting tube within the rail tube will result in the table tops varying elevation. Granted that may be small, but it drove Ed in Tampa berserk. The 520 eliminates that by providing a consistant rail to table top dimension by virtue of the gauge(or thy procedure). Also a poster here also helped that by tapped holes in the bottom of the rail tube thus causing screws similar to the 520 to clamp the connecting tube to the top of the rail tube.

One thing I have not highlighted here is the newer version's increased clearance between the connecting tube and the rail tube. That exacerbates the problem.

Keep in mind there are two issues. Vertical top co-planar and rip fence skew.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My own experience is that I did not have the ability to use the fence well when straddled between main and either a floating table or a lesser extent a fixed table.

A bit of back ground. I had used a new from shopsmith 500 for many years. The lure of the 520 was the bigger table and the extension tubes to make it even bigger. I finally purchased the 520 upgrade kit. Shortly after there was a period where the possibility of shopsmith company no longer existing was a real concern at least for me.

I started shopping for a used machine so I would have spare parts if nothing else. I found a basket case 510. I had to put some $$ into it but the low starting price made it a decent deal. The main issue I had was as mentioned, was trying to use the rip fence across the seam of a floating table and the main table. Try as I might I could not resolve this.

For a while I thought I could live with this issue but having a 520 already in use I expected more of the 510 and it just wasn't there. So I did the 510 to 520 upgrade.

For me I would rather have 520 followed by the 500 then the 510. Now it could be getting a used 510 it might have had some previous owner issues that were not apparent but they all went away with the upgrade.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 pm The 'issue' of the 510 clamping method(horizontal) is that Image. The clamping screw CAN cause the inner tube to be slightly displaced vertically(up or down) differently on tables being connected. The torque of the clamping screw essentially guarantees that depending upon the lack of a square end on the screw..

The later 510 version somewhat helped this by making the rails adjustable by bolts through somewhat sloppy holes similar to the attachment of the 520 rails. The early 510 used tapped holes in the table to attach the rails thus providing NO way to adjust. The connecting rail vertical variability remained.

The alignment criteria is a common horizontal plane for ALL connected table tops.
There is no guarantee but it is highly likely that the Table Tube will rise to the center position inside of the 510 table rail when lateral pressure is applied by the thumbscrew. However, if we are discussing Main and/or Extension Tables - this in NO WAY effects the positioning of the table tops. If the discussion includes floating tables - yes the table tops may change relative position with respect to the table tubes (by an amount of approximately 1/32"). I don't think this would be significant enough to make Ed in Tampa get rid of his 510.

As for pointed (non-square) thumb screws:
Notice the flat ends on these thumb screws
Notice the flat ends on these thumb screws
510 able Thumbscrews.jpg (17.73 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

JMO ,,,,, tossing mud on the wall as they say , once my main table is aligned I slide the main table and carriage to the ext table on both ends of the SS and align the ext tables to the main table , this has all ways proven to be some what reliable for alignment of the ext tables for me ,, any minor adj can be done with the adjusting screws on the fence, not sure if this is a solution to what I am reading . the only time I have needed the fence on a ext table was when I was using the SS as a miter stand . using a flat steel ruler or a pattern to double check the fence should be done on nearly every machine , I have done this on every machine and set up I have used including commercial saws before making a cut and periodically when making multiple pieces , .its also pretty easy to make a pattern out of about anything ,Masonite / scrap cutoffs even a 1x2 with something that slides from end to end and you can clamp in one way or another so you dont have a bunch of stuff laying around ,, anything will work , ya can just toss in to set up the saw and you dont need to worry about checking the numbers every time .JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 pm There is no guarantee but it is highly likely that the Table Tube will rise to the center position inside of the 510 table rail when lateral pressure is applied by the thumbscrew. However, if we are discussing Main and/or Extension Tables - this in NO WAY effects the positioning of the table tops. If the discussion includes floating tables - yes the table tops may change relative position with respect to the table tubes (by an amount of approximately 1/32"). I don't think this would be significant enough to make Ed in Tampa get rid of his 510.

510 able Thumbscrews.jpg
Dusty,

Thanks. I think you are forgetting about the potential skew of the floating table. What happens if the floating table front is locked in place closer to the main table than the rear lock or vice-versa? I believe this could happen with either the 510 or the 520 table systems, but given the greater variation on the 510 rail it should be worse. Separate from this is what happens when you do lock down the floating table on a 510? On the other thread it was suggested that the thumbscrew might bias the 510 connector tube up/down as it seats, whereas this is not possible on the 520 because it biases it only up and locks it to the rail in a tight fitting channel. Not trying to belabor this discussion, but it seems to me that there is potential for greater variation in floating table position on the 510 and the 520 attempted to fix this. In my opinion they did and the 520 is a definite improvement. Keep in mind Shopsmith repeatedly has stressed how fast the Mark V system is, e.g. with changeovers, etc. Many of us, or at least I, was told that I could install the rip fence on the floating table and go off and make repeatable cuts with it...and do so quickly. Not even talking precision here, but safe, kickback free cuts. After Scott's video and the other thread, I now see why that was a fallacy on the 510 using the floating table. Sure, Shopsmith owners can attempt to assemble multiple tables upside down on a workbench and then mount them, but that is added time and cumbersome.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:12 am
dusty wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 pm There is no guarantee but it is highly likely that the Table Tube will rise to the center position inside of the 510 table rail when lateral pressure is applied by the thumbscrew. However, if we are discussing Main and/or Extension Tables - this in NO WAY effects the positioning of the table tops. If the discussion includes floating tables - yes the table tops may change relative position with respect to the table tubes (by an amount of approximately 1/32"). I don't think this would be significant enough to make Ed in Tampa get rid of his 510.

510 able Thumbscrews.jpg
Dusty,

Thanks. I think you are forgetting about the potential skew of the floating table. What happens if the floating table front is locked in place closer to the main table than the rear lock or vice-versa? I believe this could happen with either the 510 or the 520 table systems, but given the greater variation on the 510 rail it should be worse. Separate from this is what happens when you do lock down the floating table on a 510? On the other thread it was suggested that the thumbscrew might bias the 510 connector tube up/down as it seats, whereas this is not possible on the 520 because it biases it only up and locks it to the rail in a tight fitting channel. Not trying to belabor this discussion, but it seems to me that there is potential for greater variation in floating table position on the 510 and the 520 attempted to fix this. In my opinion they did and the 520 is a definite improvement. Keep in mind Shopsmith repeatedly has stressed how fast the Mark V system is, e.g. with changeovers, etc. Many of us, or at least I, was told that I could install the rip fence on the floating table and go off and make repeatable cuts with it...and do so quickly. Not even talking precision here, but safe, kickback free cuts. After Scott's video and the other thread, I now see why that was a fallacy on the 510 using the floating table. Sure, Shopsmith owners can attempt to assemble multiple tables upside down on a workbench and then mount them, but that is added time and cumbersome.
Yes, there is a greater potential for movement with a 510 then a 520 but just how much. I simply contend that it is slight; not great enough to create a safety issue or a serious alignment problem. Not so much these days but I have cut a lot of sheet goods using the the rip fence mounted on a floating table with no difficulty.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:45 am Yes, there is a greater potential for movement with a 510 then a 520 but just how much. I simply contend that it is slight; not great enough to create a safety issue or a serious alignment problem. Not so much these days but I have cut a lot of sheet goods using the the rip fence mounted on a floating table with no difficulty.
Dusty,

Thanks. Yeah, I agree that I don't know "how much" of a problem it is either. IF I still had a 510 setup I would try to compare/contrast them. For me, and for Ed, there was a quality difference between our 510 and 520 setups, but to quantify what that difference was may not be possible now or worth the trouble. I mean we are happy with our 520 systems now. Other forum members are happy with their 510 systems. IF you have interest and want to try to quantify it, that is up to you. As long as we are all making sawdust and happy with the results that is all that matters in the end. I think that these threads have illuminated at least some of the "why" on what I experienced with my 510 system, but I could be mistaken. Thanks for the discussion as always and appreciate you looking into it and the excellent diagrams. Appreciate it.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

510 and 529 Rails with Table Tubes..a comparison:

510 and 520 Rails with Table Tubes ...jpg
510 and 520 Rails with Table Tubes ...jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 909 times
You have to use your imagination for thumb screws on the 520 rails.

The sketch with two vertical center lines shows how much the Table Tube is pushed with the thumb screw (1/32"). Not IMO enough to create a lot of concern Even if the 520 is 0".

I certainly do not believe this movement to be the root cause of the issues that have plagued Ed in Tampa.

I do hope that Scott does another YT video that touches on this.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Where did 1/32" come from?

Later version has over 1/16" slop.(0.070)

Original version had slightly over 1/64"(0.020)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Where did 1/32" come from?

Later version has over 1/16" slop.(0.070)

Original version had slightly over 1/64"(0.020)

510 Table Rail with Table Tube Secure and Unsecure.jpg
510 Table Rail with Table Tube Secure and Unsecure.jpg (112.82 KiB) Viewed 825 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty