Resawing - cut results - one face smooth, the other face rought

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

poihths
Gold Member

Resawing - cut results - one face smooth, the other face rought

Post by poihths »

So I'm working on my resawing skills, which are as limited as my resawing experience, i.e., very.

Got a pretty good cut on my first try as far is getting through the board really pretty straight.

On examining the cut, it was really striking that one cut face was quite smooth, the other very rough - as if something was happening on one side of the blade that wasn't happening on the other.

Any hints on what to look for?
edma194
Platinum Member

Re: Resawing - cut results - one face smooth, the other face rought

Post by edma194 »

Just guessing here, possibly your fence is not aligned or your blade is twisting. That gives one side a smooth cut while the rough side has incomplete contact with the blade. Usually an imbalance like that, or just one side of the blade sharper than the other, results in the bladed traveling off the line but if the wood is forced place by a fence and feather board you might get a straight cut but not with both sides coming out the same.
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
Matanuska
Gold Member

Post by Matanuska »

I’ll always run the stock through my thickness planer after a resaw. I’ve found both sides of the cut need it to bring everything into square and smooth the cut surfaces.
1985 Mark V upgraded to 520 PowerPro. Shopsmith cast iron table bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and 60's vintage 610 jigsaw SPT's. Makita 2040 15" planer, JessEm Mast-R-Lift II router table.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

In my past experience with bandsaw blades , if the kerf on one side is not the same your cut will not be true and it will be very tough to keep the cut on the cutline or the blade from binding . moisture content can also effect the cut . most blades will not clean the saw dust from the blade and or want to follow the grain unless the wood is dry . not sure what blade you are running / TPI etc / or the size of the stock you are using but normally you will want the biggest blade you can use . blade tension is another important thing . JMO
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Matanuska wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:46 pm I’ll always run the stock through my thickness planer after a resaw. I’ve found both sides of the cut need it to bring everything into square and smooth the cut surfaces.
Same here. Both sides of my resaw cuts are rough so I need to run them through my thickness planer to make them useful.
If one side of your blade was much different from the other one, the saw wouldn't cut straight. It would pull to one side during cuts.
steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

I just got a new bandsaw (1995 era, but still in original box) and I want to resaw wood and I WANT both sides to be as rough sawn as possible to mimic barn wood. Any recommendations on how to achieve that? Use as coarse of a blade as possible? or any other suggestions?
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

steverboss
Gold Member

Post by steverboss »

I want rough sawn look, that you tube video is for weathered or barnwood. But thanks, anyway. I did find a YouTube video that says take an old table saw blade & slighty bend one tooth.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Opposing teeth will make both sides 'rough'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Copy that , there is a tool that sets the kerf on some blades , hand saws , band saw blades and such , I have never done it , it wouldn't be beyond my experimenting capabilities to find a used one and a old blade for the band saw and gently adjust a couple teeth , my guess is that if you do not do it evenly than the blade will not cut straight. not sure I would try it with a saw blade on a table saw, those things spin rather fast compared to a band saw and balance is quite necessary .JMO https://commonwoodworking.com/sawset-guide/