SC Johnson Paste Wax

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: SC Johnson Paste Wax

Post by RFGuy »

Robert,

Yeah, I bought one can of SCJ online, just to have a backup before I couldn't get it anymore. It came like applesauce and there was wax leaking all out of the can and box on arrival. It was a real mess. I lost maybe 20% of the product during shipping. There was absolutely no padding around the product in shipment so it got dented. The company was great about it and sent another can for free to replace it. With better packing this time, the second can arrived undamaged and was what I expect for SCJ paste wax consistency. Both cans were manufactured in Mexico. Glad I could salvage the first can so I didn't have to waste it and now it is in a better container for easy access.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Mexico for the last several years.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Mexico for the last several decades.

My oldest can I bought in the mid 1980's is labeled from Mexico.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Okay, final shot. This is what it looks like now in the noon day sun so easier to see it. It is a firm paste now like all of the prior SCJ paste wax I have bought in the past.
IMG_7904.jpg
IMG_7904.jpg (71.59 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I have had to reconstitute my can of TreWax a couple of times, dropped the can during cold weather and the wax shattered. To avoid the risk of over heating, and fire, I put the can in a pot with an inch or so of water in it, and heated it on the stove over with a fairly low heat.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

rpd wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:08 pm I have had to reconstitute my can of TreWax a couple of times, dropped the can during cold weather and the wax shattered. To avoid the risk of over heating, and fire, I put the can in a pot with an inch or so of water in it, and heated it on the stove over with a fairly low heat.
Ron,

Thanks. I was mainly trying to keep the solvent fumes out of my house though. Doesn't it bother you to smell the solvent in your house? Maybe it is just me, but I find the smell of SJC paste wax a bit addictive so I try to keep the lid off for only a short time in the shop. When I looked it up, I discovered that solvent inhalation euphoria is a known medical condition (see links below). Maybe the type of solvent in either SJC or TreWax doesn't cause any issues other than the smell in the house, or perhaps it would take inhaling A LOT of it to affect one's health. I agree it is a serious concern to heat it up as I did. IF one wants to do it outside as I did perhaps using an old toaster oven or a camp stove like I did with a pot of water on it is the smarter path. I don't know if I am making too much of this issue or not, but after inhaling too much poly fumes over the years I am always careful now to use a respirator in the shop when I do finishes to save what is left of my sinus cavities. I just don't want to expose my family to solvent fumes. Whatever method one chooses for this, I highly recommend the best ventilation you can use for it as a precaution. Thanks again for the feedback.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ne ... e/euphoria

https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/20 ... addictive.
📶RF Guy

john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

rpd wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:08 pm... I put the can in a pot with an inch or so of water in it, and heated it on the stove over with a fairly low heat.
You shouldn't need to heat the pot with the wax in it. Heat the water, take the pot off the stove and put the can in the hot water. The water should have enough residual heat to melt the wax.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I didn't get it hot enough to boil the water, and took it off burner (electric) once the wax had mostly melted. Heating in a water bath just makes it easier to not overheat the wax (can't get over 212 deg) My sense of smell is not very acute, I don't find the smell of the solvent unpleasant, but I am not "sniffing" it either. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
KCollins
Gold Member

Post by KCollins »

Hey... RFGuy... Great experiment. Thanks for seeing it through. I'm very curious bout the HDPE containers you have. Where did you find those? Got a link?
Kevin Collins

1x Mark 7 - 520
2x Mark 5 - 510
1x 1956 Mark 5 - 500 in need of restoration
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

KCollins wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:04 pm Hey... RFGuy... Great experiment. Thanks for seeing it through. I'm very curious bout the HDPE containers you have. Where did you find those? Got a link?
Kevin,

Thanks. Yeah, I really like these. I found them on Amazon. The description doesn't say it, but in the Q&A and according to the recycling code on them they are supposed to be HDPE. I have put some caustic (aging finishes) in them and no leaks so 99% sure they are HDPE.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CR ... UTF8&psc=1
HDPEcontainers.jpg
HDPEcontainers.jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 653 times
📶RF Guy