Mark VII Repair questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

MichiganTom
Gold Member

Mark VII Repair questions

Post by MichiganTom »

Hello,

I was continuing to go through the Mark VII I just purchased looking for issues, been watching some videos on maintenance and repairs. I noticed that the quills in the videos all had a return spring working on the quill. Noted that mine didn't return, started looking into it by removing the quill and then quill Pinion shaft, then spring housing. The spring in broken off.

I looked up a replacement spring/housing according to the part number listed in the manual, housing 501310, spring 501315 and SS came back with another number (did not record) calling out the part as Housing with Spring.

So question 1 is:
Is there a difference or will the "Housing with spring" fit my Mark VII?
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Re: Mark VII Repair questions

Post by MichiganTom »

picture didn't go through, try again, I see what I missed.
Spring and housing.jpg
Spring and housing.jpg (168.2 KiB) Viewed 782 times
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

My next question is about the Quill feed pinion gear alignment to the quill rack gear.

I noticed that the pinion gear doesn't completely align with the center of the quill rack. I reinstalled the pinion shaft to see if there was possible a misalignment due to the spring housing, doesn't appear to be. There is a race/stop protruding into the back (spring side), that doesn't allow the pinion gear to travel deeper.

question no 2: Is it normal for the Mark VII that the pinion gear doesn't completely align with the quill rack gear?

Pictures of the gear alignment and the race/stop on the spring side of the housing.
Quill pinion in housing.jpg
Quill pinion in housing.jpg (15.8 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Quill gear race.jpg
Quill gear race.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Quill pinion gear with no clean up, witness marks where the gear is actually riding.
Quill Pinion gear.jpg
Quill Pinion gear.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 779 times
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

More of an oops than anything else.

Noted that the quill was tough moving from the beginning, but immediately smoothed out when I moved the set screw on the top of the housing as a quill retainer. Well whomever before me installed the set screw didn't use a dog or half dog and used a cupped end. So there is some slight galling on quill shaft on each side of slot. Just showing a picture of what happened when not properly done. FYI I guess.
Quill removed.jpg
Quill removed.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Quill damage wrong SS.jpg
Quill damage wrong SS.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 778 times
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I don't own a Mark VII, but I'm assuming the quill retraction is similar to the Mark 5/V. It looks like someone tightened the set screw. It's not intended to be bottomed out in the groove; just protrude into the groove enough to keep the quill from coming all the way out. The spring damage is typical of removing the quill and letting the handle go to snap back by itself. The momentum of the spinning handle carries it until it turns the spring backwards.
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

john_001 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:58 pm I don't own a Mark VII, but I'm assuming the quill retraction is similar to the Mark 5/V. It looks like someone tightened the set screw. It's not intended to be bottomed out in the groove; just protrude into the groove enough to keep the quill from coming all the way out. The spring damage is typical of removing the quill and letting the handle go to snap back by itself. The momentum of the spinning handle carries it until it turns the spring backwards.
The set screw is supposed to be what's called a half dog nose (protrudes into the slot), according to what I've been able to find. Easy enough to get the right one, that's an easy fix.

Quill retractor spring assembly: I was hoping someone might know if the Mark V is the same for Mark VII. SS has them, just asking before ordering one or the assembly.

Thanks for the reply!!

Tom
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I don't know if the housing is the same but the spring itself should be. The MK 5/V spring is the same as the original 10ER spring so it would make sense the MK VII is the same. You can't buy just the spring from SS but they do show up on eBay occasionally. You can buy the assembly from SS and just use the spring in your housing.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

M5 spring will work.

Ya adventuersome enough to put a keyhole in the spring?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

JPG wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:11 am M5 spring will work.

Ya adventuersome enough to put a keyhole in the spring?
I thought about doing that, since it broke off short. I wasn't sure of the orientation of the bends or if the bends were normal or due to damage. (?) And if after making the keyhole if the spring would tolerate me bending it without snapping.
MichiganTom
Gold Member

Post by MichiganTom »

I took a few more pictures of the damaged spring. I don't know what a good working spring looks like before installation, which made me question which way I would orient the keyhole. The other question I have is if successful at putting the keyhole into the spring, is the retainer screw supposed to lock down the spring to the Shaft?? The screw that is in the shaft now will not go down any further than shown below, possibly the screw is too long.
broken spring.jpg
broken spring.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 591 times
bent spring end.jpg
bent spring end.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Not sure if the keyhole would go this way?
Broken orintation 1.jpg
Broken orintation 1.jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Or if the keyhole should go as below
Broken orintation 2.jpg
Broken orintation 2.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Retainer screw bottomed out.
Spring retainer screw depth.jpg
Spring retainer screw depth.jpg (17.73 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tom