What happened to the Gas Spring Table Raiser?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edma194
Platinum Member

What happened to the Gas Spring Table Raiser?

Post by edma194 »

Anyone know what happened to this thing? Couple of mentions in threads where people used it so it must have been real at one time.

Was just curious about it but went to look it up and there's no price on the Shopsmith product page, and no part number. I found this part number - 556334 - in an old thread but searching on the Shopsmith site returns nothing,
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
1961 Goldie:1960 Sawsmith RAS:10ER
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Re: What happened to the Gas Spring Table Raiser?

Post by RFGuy »

Honestly, I am not surprised. When I helped a fellow forum member get acquainted with their new Mark 7 a year or so ago they had it on it. They got it by mistake thinking it was the lift assist. I only used it briefly, but I can tell you it is a real pain to take the gas shock on and off for use and you can't leave it in position except for drill press mode. It didn't seem to work that well in my opinion.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

I have seen the page you linked in the past but never considered getting one. I don't find it that difficult to adjust the Carriage/Table once I am in Drill Press position if needed. I setup the Headstock and Carriage/Table position before raising it into Drill Press position. Besides I usually have my Carriage/Table closer to the base end of my Mark than I think the Gas Spring Table Riser would allow. Or at least at the spot it would be fully compressed.
Last edited by chapmanruss on Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
EdLivesay
Bronze Member

Post by EdLivesay »

I have one…bought it from Shopsmith something like 4 years ago….does what it’s designed for…but I ended up not using it that often. That said, It’s kinda like 3mm wrench….nothing like it when you need it.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

RFGuy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:19 pm I only used it briefly, but I can tell you it is a real pain to take the gas shock on and off for use and you can't leave it in position except for drill press mode. It didn't seem to work that well in my opinion.
chapmanruss wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:53 am Besides I usually have my Carriage/Table closer to the base end to my Mark than I think the Gas Spring Table Riser would allow. Or at least at the spot it would be fully compressed.
These and other comments show some drawbacks to it's use. I only went to look at this device to consider all the options available. I'd run into this page several times in the past looking for the Adjustable Stop Collar, the latter being a name I can't ever recall when needed. I never checked the details before, and maybe it's no longer available either. It looks like it uses the same mounting blocks on the way tubes as the lift assist. I think the picture on the product page shows the lift assist cantilever arm mounted on those blocks.

For a short term option I just got the new hydraulic headstock raiser shown below, I can use the same device for raising the table also. One on the issues with changing table height is the weight of the table causing the carriage to jam on the way tubes. This problem is much worse now that I'm using a 510 table because the table is larger and heavier even without adding the weight of a drill press vice and whatever is about to get drilled, routed, shaped, etc. The 510 table makes it easy to add a counterweight using connecting tubes in the rails to hold a floating table on the back side. I have other notions in mind also, but for now looking for simple solutions.

hydraulic raiser.jpg
hydraulic raiser.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
Ed from Rhode Island

510 PowerPro Double Tilt:Greenie PowerPro Drill Press:500 Sanding Shorty w/Belt&Strip Sanders
Super Sawsmith 2000:Scroll Saw w/Stand:Joint-Matic:Power Station:Power Stand:Bandsaw:Joiner:Jigsaw
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Ed,

Interesting Headstock Raiser. 4 tons might be a little overkill though. :D

I think that is especially useful for your Power Pro Headstock to adjust the Headstock position up or down above the Table/Carriage in Drill Press Mode. I would have never considered releasing the Headstock Way Tube Lock even on a conventional Headstock let alone a Power Pro Headstock in Drill Press Mode.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
edma194
Platinum Member

Post by edma194 »

chapmanruss wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:46 pm Ed,

Interesting Headstock Raiser. 4 tons might be a little overkill though. :D

I think that is especially useful for your Power Pro Headstock to adjust the Headstock position up or down above the Table/Carriage in Drill Press Mode. I would have never considered releasing the Headstock Way Tube Lock even on a conventional Headstock let alone a Power Pro Headstock in Drill Press Mode.
That jack was on clearance at Harbor Freight, it will help for the time being. Because the headstock is so hard to adjust in drill press mode I end up adjusting the table, but I'd rather leave the table at the same height all the time. As someone pointed out to me, I have the heaviest of headstocks because it was sand cast and has the Power Pro in it. So the table raiser isn't really what I was looking for. One day, should I ever find the time and energy I'll figure out how to use the treadmill raiser I have that has a reversible AC motor driving a 3/4" acme screw. I assume I can put a longer screw in it, or even if not connect that device between the carriage and headstock. Then either the table or headstock can be raised or lowered relative to the other by releasing it's lock. The longer screw would allow either one to be positioned at any height with any relative distance between them.
Ed from Rhode Island

benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

Here is a video I found on YouTube where “Frugal Fixer Spike” uses a hospital bed motor to lift the headstock while in drill press mode. I don’t know if he ever perfected it, but was an interesting idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71pFpkKqnuI
benmcn
Gold Member

Post by benmcn »

You can pick up one of these motors on Amazon for less then $50. Looks like they come in a variety of sizes.
9D808017-FD27-4353-8E7D-7E3A3001E9BD.jpeg
9D808017-FD27-4353-8E7D-7E3A3001E9BD.jpeg (260.64 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
CA29C8F3-BDD4-4E81-886E-3409CB15D932.jpeg
CA29C8F3-BDD4-4E81-886E-3409CB15D932.jpeg (284.16 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I made one for my 10ER dedicated drill press, and use it all the time. Not surprisingly Shopsmith didn't make one to fit the 10's, but it wasn't difficult to fabricate my own mounting brackets.
Link to my build post. viewtopic.php?p=184523#p184523
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,